Posted to user@struts.apache.org by jenny zhang <j_...@yahoo.ca> on 2002/09/13 22:31:40 UTC

does struts has the functionality

Hi, there:

Does struts has the functionality of supporting page
navigation? I have over 100 search results, I would
like display them inseperate pages(10 records/page).
In each page, I would like have previous, next button.
I am not sure if struts has the functionality. If you
know this, could you please share the info? I
appreciate your info.

Thanks

Re: urgent!!!---Re: does struts has the functionality?

Posted by Jenny <J_...@yahoo.ca>.
I have figured out how to have my action class be called whenever user click
on a page index(solution is to have url="/rootcontext/paymentHistory.do").
So the first question I asked below is solved.

Now I encountered another problem. When user click on the 10th page(Please
see the following senario for detail), the first 500 records will be removed
from session, and the next 500 records will be retrieved from DB, and
displayed to user. From logic view of point, the second 500 records should
be displayed from page 11-20. But now, the page number still shows 1-10, and
only the last records on 10th page is from second 500 records(the last
record). The rest of the records dispalyed are still from the first 500
records. This is not correct.

My question: How can I have the page index to be displayed correctly, and
works correctly?

Thank you very much for your help.

Jenny

Posted by Jenny <J_...@yahoo.ca>.
I have a question about using jspTags pager(http://jsptags.com/tags/navigation/pager/
).

Posted by Jenny <J_...@yahoo.ca>.
Hi, there:

The link http://jsptags.com/tags/navigation/pager/ that Anand provided is
very good for page navigation. However, I have two questions regarding to
using it.

First, in order to use it, we have to add the following in our web.xml.

<taglib>
  <taglib-uri>
    http://jsptags.com/tags/navigation/pager
  </taglib-uri>
  <taglib-location>
    /WEB-INF/jsp/pager-taglib.tld
  </taglib-location>
</taglib

 Because the <taglib-uri> refer to
http://jsptags.com/tags/navigation/pager. That means if the link doesn't
work, our program will not work. In that case, is it safe to use it?

Second question. I have 2000 records totally. I want to retrieve 1000
records from DB at one time and display it to user. When user navigate to
the last page of the first 1000 records, user should still be able to click
next to navigate to the second 1000 records. How can I have "next" in the
last page of the first 1000 records. From my understanding, the jspTags
pager will take the first 1000 records as the total search result,
therefore, at the last page of the first 1000 records, it will not display
"next" navigation ability. But in my senario,I still need the ability
because I still have another 1000 records to show. At the last page of the
second 1000 records, there should be no next navigation ability.In order to
achieve this, do I need to modify the taglib, or just modify my JSP file.

I tried to describe my senario as clear as possible. It may still not clear
to you. Please feel free to ask me to clarify if you have any doubt.

Thank you for your reply.

Jenny

To Anand: Re: does struts has the functionality

Posted by Jenny <J_...@yahoo.ca>.
Anand:

Thank you.
I have one more question.in your previous email, you said "We have used the
jspTags pager for recordsets more
 than 2500 records(one time query)".My understanding is that you got all the
records one time from Database. Where did you keep those records? Is it in
session, or somewhere? The middle tier developer in our company wants to get
20 records(20 records/page)from Database at one time. For example, in order
to display the first page, the first 20 records will be retrieved from
database. When user click next,next 21-40 records will be retrieved and
displayed on the next page.The reason he wants to do it that way is he
doesn't want to keep many records in session. For me, I prefer to retrieve
all records once. I think I should convince him. But I am not sure I have
enough reasons. Could you please give me your suggestons, and your
solutions? I really appreicate your help.

Thank you very much.

Jenny

Struts 1.0.2 and Dynamo 5.5

Posted by Vipul Sagare <vi...@yahoo.com>.
I am not able to run the struts-example application with ATGDynamo
server.  I have run struts with other servers such tomcat.   Is there
something specific to Dynamo?   Has anyone used struts with Dynamo? If
so, please let me know.

Thank you.

Vipul

RE: does struts has the functionality

Posted by Anand Belaguly <an...@edgesoftinc.com>.
This works pretty good.

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
I am not sure why this is such a problem for you Jenny.  If you have the
results, just show 10 per page, and when the user recycles, put the next
ten (backwards or forwards) onto the view.  I assume your results are ordered?

Posted by Dave Weis <dj...@sjdjweis.com>.