Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org> on 2010/03/18 21:48:04 UTC

Hadoop sub-project spin outs...

As you may have seen on the various dev lists, some of the Hadoop sub-
projects such as HBase and Avro have started discussions on their dev
lists about becoming top level Apache projects. This is largely
motivated by the Apache board's continued warnings to Hadoop and
Lucene against becoming an umbrella project. (Umbrella projects are
projects that are meta-projects where the development communities and
releases of the sub-projects are largely disjoint.) I've heard some
questions about whether if sub-project X becomes a TLP it will be
included in events like Hadoop Summit, Hadoop World, etc. For Hadoop
Summit and the Bay Area Hadoop User Group meetings, which Yahoo
organizes, a change in to a TLP won't change anything. I don't have
any reason to believe the other meetings will behave differently.

Thanks,
    Owen