Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com> on 2017/06/21 23:26:37 UTC

Using gitbox for apache/incubator-trafodion

Hi,

I wanted to raise discussion of an option for how we use github.

Currently the incubator-trafodion repo on github is a read-only mirror of the ASF git repo.

The Apache infra group is now beta testing a new service called gitbox. It essentially makes github a write-able mirror repo. This has a few benefits such as allowing committers to enable github features (issues, wiki,...). But I believe the main benefit would be for committers being able to merge pull-requests directly via a button on the github web page rather than merging in local workspace via commands.

Since it is in beta, it is not prominently documented or advertised, but they are accepting jira requests for groups that want to switch. Several projects, including some incubating groups have already.  https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf

What is required?

  *   Since we already advise contributors to use github pull-requests, no change for contributors.
  *   Committers need to have their github IDs linked into their Apache profile.
  *   Committers need to set up Two-Factor-Authentication in github.  I have already enabled this for myself. Once it is setup, it is not burdensome. (First time you login to github from a new PC browser, you also need to provide second ID, such as a code from phone app.)
  *   Both requirements can be checked at https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/

Even if we want to do this, it might be best to wait until after the 2.2 release.  Thoughts?

--Steve

RE: Using gitbox for apache/incubator-trafodion

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.
Yes, that link gives you the other links you need for those steps and it verifies that they are done for each committer that logs in (with apache ID of course).

--Steve

Posted by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>.
+1

Posted by Sandhya Sundaresan <sa...@esgyn.com>.
+1   Sounds like the way to go, moving forward.
And yes maybe it's best we wait a bit for 2.2 although I see projects who've already been on it  starting 8 months ago so it should be fairly issue-free I suppose.
Sandhya