Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Eric Pancer <ep...@security.depaul.edu> on 2004/05/18 08:58:20 UTC

Mirror Notification -- DePaul University

how-to-mirror updates (was Re: Mirror Notification -- DePaul University)

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 19 May 2004, Mij wrote:

> > But I'll note again that we much prefer
> > http mirrors.  I won't even add the logo to our database, since ftp
> > mirrors are never selected as "preferred" mirrors, and hence never get
> > their logo displayed.
>
> it might be useful to make this explicit on the how-to-mirror.html page,
> either as "requirement" or in the introduction paragraph.
>
> there is already "we strongly recommend that you run the Apache HTTP
> Server version ..."
> but it can be read "we strongly recommend http mirror, based on apache"
> as well as
> "if you provide http mirroring we recommend apache".

Ok.  I've made a few updates to this page:
http://www.apache.org/info/how-to-mirror.html

Including:
- Current apache-dist size up to 5GB.
- Recommend 2-4 updates per day.  It seems our developers are too
impatient to wait 24 hours for stuff to get out to the mirrors.
- Remove the recommendation to sync between 8am and noon GMT, since apache
bandwidth usage is really pretty constant through the day.  See:
http://www.unitedlayer.com/customerbw/apache
- Clarify that http mirrors are preferred.
- Clarify that you must host your own logo.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Joshua.

Re: Mirror Notification -- DePaul University

Posted by Mij <mi...@bitchx.it>.
> But I'll note again that we much prefer
> http mirrors.  I won't even add the logo to our database, since ftp
> mirrors are never selected as "preferred" mirrors, and hence never get
> their logo displayed.

it might be useful to make this explicit on the how-to-mirror.html page,
either as "requirement" or in the introduction paragraph.

there is already "we strongly recommend that you run the Apache HTTP
Server version ..."
but it can be read "we strongly recommend http mirror, based on apache"
as well as
"if you provide http mirroring we recommend apache".

bye

Re: Mirror Notification -- DePaul University

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 18 May 2004, Eric Pancer wrote:
> We've recently put a new mirror in server and offer the following to
> the Internet community.

> Country: US
> Contact Email: <ar...@security.depaul.edu>
> Update Frequency: Daily at 03:03 CDT
> Approximate Bandwidth: 100Mbps; 500Mbps for I2 Connected hosts
> I have followed the recommended config [..]: no, we are only
> offering FTP access at this time.
>
> Optional; we'll still mirror w/o this :)
>
> Location of icon: <http://security.depaul.edu/images/logo/dplogo-blue.gif>
> Redirect icon href to <http://security.depaul.edu/>

Thanks.  This has been added.  But I'll note again that we much prefer