Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au> on 2004/08/04 07:31:09 UTC

[VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release

I've collected a bunch of changes together and created a maintenance release.

A preview copy may be found here:

http://cvs.apache.org/~glens/release/

This does not include any changes being made in the head.

[ ] +1 Go ahead and release
[ ] +0 Sure... whatever
[ ] -0 I have some reservations (name them)
[ ] -1 VETO.  We can not release this.

Glen Stampoultzis
gstamp@iinet.net.au

Re: Plans etc (was Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release )

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
I don't think there is a cognitive chasm.  Its parallel arrays of
primitives.  Start there and say "what would be necessary to have the most
compact structure possible for parallel arrays of primitives" and the rest
works itself out.  This is nothing compared to what we need to do for memory
mapping!  Now that kinda thing rots the brain entirely.  Doing such in POIFS
is one thing but HSSF to quote Bill and Ted....whoa...dude.
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
> [...]

> > they'll be effective.
> > (4) really doesn't isn't an option.  We need to do something or the
> project
> > is in trouble.
> >
> > So consider this an open discussion (non-committers welcome to chime in)
>
> > about each option.  If you're willing to help out in getting things back
> on
> > track then let us know what you might be able to contribute.
> >
> > Here are some rules of thumb I'd like us to apply in the future:
> >
> > 1. No long lived branches.  Branches are for minor patches to
> > releases.  Experimenting in branches is okay but don't expect it to form
>
> > part of a release until it is solid.
> > 2. No checking in of broken code.
> > 3. Incremental changes are best.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Glen

Re: Plans etc (was Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release )

Agreed moreover if something goes wrong in the CVS process then there is
less pressure.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to wait.
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.
Am Do, den 05.08.2004 schrieb Danny Mui um 1:17:
> The perf branch should still be a target to convert to, but I agree that
> things are stagnating and drifting too far apart.

It seems we have consensus on these items:

1. From the HEAD fork a new "performance branch", say, HSSF_PERF,
containing the current unstable HSSF changes. Advantages:
- We have only stable modules in the HEAD, which should be a must in the
future. Stable means that the code compiles, that there are sufficient
test cases, and that the test cases don't fail.
- The performance development could continue in the HSSF_PERF branch
without any time pressures. The changes can be merged into the HEAD when
they are finished. Whether that merging is easy or not and whether any
HSSF changes that are unrelated to the performance thing have to be done
to both HEAD and HSSF_PERF, I cannot decide.

2. Copy HSSF from the REL_2_BRANCH to the HEAD.

3. Make a HEAD-based release fairly soon.

Ideally the HEAD-based release would contain Glen's latest changes.
However, if 1. and 2. take too long it would be better to make a 2.5.1
immediately and a 2.6 release later (but not too late).

Do we formally need to vote on this? Are there any other issues?

Best regards
Rainer Klute

                           Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
  Dipl.-Inform.
  Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
  Körner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423

Re: Plans etc (was Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release )

Posted by Danny Mui <da...@muibros.com>.
Interesting take there with numbers ;).

The HEAD has a lot of changes in there that make it look a lot different
from REL 2.  I tried to get basic read/write functionality going but ran
into a nice firm wall :).  I think if we can get that back and working
we can merge all the features/bug fixes a lot easier.

Having said all that familiarity is still nice.

Posted by cw...@mdanderson.org.

To:

Subject:

Posted by Avik Sengupta <av...@itellix.com>.
Glen,

> [...]

> improvements are now lost to us.
> (3) would be good but involves finding quick wins.  There may be none to be
> found.  I've been doing a little work in the background experimenting with
> less obtrusive ways to conserve memory but it's too early to tell if
> they'll be effective.
> (4) really doesn't isn't an option.  We need to do something or the project
> is in trouble.
>
> So consider this an open discussion (non-committers welcome to chime in)
> about each option.  If you're willing to help out in getting things back on
> track then let us know what you might be able to contribute.
>
> Here are some rules of thumb I'd like us to apply in the future:
>
> 1. No long lived branches.  Branches are for minor patches to
> releases.  Experimenting in branches is okay but don't expect it to form

Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
Please don't continue this discussion in the VOTE thread.  I started a new
thread.

Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release

Posted by Glen Stampoultzis <gs...@iinet.net.au>.
At 04:40 PM 4/08/2004, you wrote:
> [...]

improvements are now lost to us.
(3) would be good but involves finding quick wins.  There may be none to be
found.  I've been doing a little work in the background experimenting with
less obtrusive ways to conserve memory but it's too early to tell if
they'll be effective.
(4) really doesn't isn't an option.  We need to do something or the project
is in trouble.

So consider this an open discussion (non-committers welcome to chime in)
about each option.  If you're willing to help out in getting things back on
track then let us know what you might be able to contribute.

Here are some rules of thumb I'd like us to apply in the future:

1. No long lived branches.  Branches are for minor patches to
releases.  Experimenting in branches is okay but don't expect it to form

Response to Rainer WAS: Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
I understand your concerns.  It is also unfair to hold your work up.
Initially I thought I'd be given a greater amount of time to do the HSSF
refactoring, but its not looking promising and HSSF isn't stable in the
head.  Therefore, I think we should overwrite the HSSF part of the HEAD wit=
the 2.5 stuff (possibly branching first to preserve it).  While many folks
have given promising (2/3 memory footprint reduction) feedback on the memor=
savings, no contributors or even fellow committers have stepped forward to
help and I can't really do that myself and keep it in synch.  Thoughts?

--=20
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

> From: Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>
> Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:40:17 +0200
> To: POI Developers List <po...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release
>=20
> On Wed, 2004-08-04 at 07:31, Glen Stampoultzis wrote:
>> I've collected a bunch of changes together and created a maintenance rel=
ease.
>=20
> Glen, first of all thank you for your changes and your effort to create
> a maintenance release!
>=20
>=20
>> This does not include any changes being made in the head.
>=20
> I don't mind another maintenance release, but I'd also like to see a
> release with the "new" features that are in the head. For example, the
> HPSF capability to write properties is not in any release but only in
> the head for months if not for a year or so. HPSF's codepage handling is
> also in the head only for months.
>=20
> I suspect that many users don't know that these features exist because
> they just download a release and don't bother to checkout the CVS' head.
>=20
>=20
> Regarding my vote:
>=20
>> [ ] +1 Go ahead and release
>> [X] +0 Sure... whatever
>> [ ] -0 I have some reservations (name them)
>> [ ] -1 VETO.  We can not release this.
>=20
>=20
> Best regards
> Rainer Klute
>=20
>                          Rainer Klute IT-Consulting GmbH
> Dipl.-Inform.
> Rainer Klute             E-Mail:  klute@rainer-klute.de
> K=F6rner Grund 24          Telefon: +49 172 2324824
> D-44143 Dortmund           Telefax: +49 231 5349423
>=20
>=20

Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
+1 to the release.=20

Response to Rainer will be in another mail.

Re: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release

Posted by Rainer Klute <kl...@rainer-klute.de>.

RE: [VOTE] POI 2.5.1 release