Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org> on 2012/06/05 14:44:47 UTC

Okathon May 2012 in Hamburg

Hi,

As Jukka announced earlier, a couple of us met for a short Oak Hackathon
in Hamburg last week. We mainly worked towards getting things ready for
the upcoming 0.3 release [1] but also discusses some more fundamental
topics:

- Node types and node type management: Implement as a plugin in oak-core
which exposes a default value provider which oak-jcr can use to create
default values (for example for the jcr:uuid property). The plugin
further provides a commit hook for validating the values of auto created
properties on save. For the time being we persist node types in CND format

- Same name siblings: Set
node.type.management.same.name.siblings.supported to false. Define a
marker mixin which can be used to mark nodes which support auto creating
names for child nodes on collision. If on addNode(String) a node with
the given name already exists, auto create an unique name and add the
marker mixin. Open jsr/tck issue if necessary. Implementation as
plugin/commit hook. Potentially implement the new JSR-333 interfaces for
server-named nodes using an extension interface.

- Identifier handling: Leave things as they are right now (identifiers
of non-referenceable nodes are not really stable). See OAK-101.

- Path handling: Split mapping operation into mapping and resolution;
prepare to optimize that case where no session-local prefix remapping
has happened. See OAK-61.

- Commit hooks:  Fully wired up now. See OAK-100.

- Authentication handling through JAAS LoginModules in OSGi: We'll use
the approach outlined in http://markmail.org/thread/vsmsi4gndgcjn2q2 and
http://blogs.adobe.com/jzitting/jaas-authentication-and-osgi/

- Workspace handling: Removed half baked support for workspaces: the
default workspace is currently the only one. Items of the default
workspace are now persisted directly under the Microkernel root node.
See OAK-118.

Michael

[1] http://markmail.org/message/7dhxklytr2xaoe24

Re: Okathon May 2012 in Hamburg

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2012-06-07 19:38, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> On 06.06.2012, at 04:05, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>
>> At some point probably closer to the end of this year we'll need to
>> start considering Oak branding going forward. Will it become
>> Jackrabbit 3, or do we want to build a fresh new brand for it?
>
> I think (assuming Oak turns out great as expected ;-)) Jackrabbit would deserve an awesome version 3!

Oak won't be able to do many things that Jackrabbit does; in particular,
we won't be able to claim that it implements all optional JCR features.

So I'd prefer to see it as a separate project.

Best regards, Julian

Re: Okathon May 2012 in Hamburg

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com>.
On 06.06.2012, at 04:05, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> At some point probably closer to the end of this year we'll need to
> start considering Oak branding going forward. Will it become
> Jackrabbit 3, or do we want to build a fresh new brand for it?

I think (assuming Oak turns out great as expected ;-)) Jackrabbit would deserve an awesome version 3!

Cheers,
Alex

Re: Okathon May 2012 in Hamburg

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com> wrote:
> was that a hidden proposal for renaming oak to oka?
> according to jukka that's a finnish word (thorn)...
> and it get's pretty close to okra which imo are
> tastier, aren't they?

Indeed! :-)

At some point probably closer to the end of this year we'll need to
start considering Oak branding going forward. Will it become
Jackrabbit 3, or do we want to build a fresh new brand for it?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Okathon May 2012 in Hamburg