Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net> on 2006/12/20 20:42:35 UTC

[HttpClient] (my) next steps

Hi all,

year-end break is approaching, and so is a time when I can
finally spend a few consecutive days on coding again. To be
precise: from Jan 3rd up to the end of that week. I'd like
to pick up work on HTTPCLIENT-602 (formerly HTTPCORE-8):
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-602

Before then, I have a few days left this week and one or
two next week in which I'd like to discuss the matter and
collect some ideas. That should allow me to get started
quickly next year.
Oleg, what are your plans during this timeframe? Anything
that would require the connection interface to be (mostly)
complete before mid January? Or is there something else
in HttpClient that you consider more urgent on which I
should work?

My goal is to define an interface for client side connections
that covers the full functionality typically required of a
connection. It should be easily usable and/or extensible for
HttpAsync. I would also like to keep it compatible with NIO
requirements, if possible. The open(...) problem was a major
point of discussion as long as we still had it in HttpCore.
Of course an initial implemention comes with the interface.

I will also work on the JavaDocs for HttpClient. Those that
were moved over from the 3.x codebase generate plenty of
warnings I can fix when I don't feel like doing real work :-)

I'll send an extra mail to start the technical discussion.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpClient] (my) next steps

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 18:14 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 21/12/06, Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net> wrote:
> > Hi Oleg,
> >
> > > We are planing to take a trip to London from
> > > Dec 29th to Jan 6th. So, I am afraid I am not likely be able to
> > > contribute any code way until mid January.
> >
> > London is fun, as long as you've got money to spend.
>
> Public transport is expensive unless you get yourself an Oyster card -
> http://www.oystercard.com/. Also you can get 2 for 1 at certain
> attractions with the Oyster card. You can get them at most Tube
> (Metro) stations.
>
> > I've been there in March. If you have a mind for
> > museums, check out the Victoria & Albert.
> >

> Not been there yet, but the new Tate Modern is popular.
> And of course the British Museum.
>
> Have fun!

Thanks for all the hints. I have been missing London a lot and am
looking forward to being there again.

Cheers

Oleg

Re: [HttpClient] (my) next steps

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: [HttpClient] (my) next steps

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

> We are planing to take a trip to London from
> Dec 29th to Jan 6th. So, I am afraid I am not likely be able to
> contribute any code way until mid January.

London is fun, as long as you've got money to spend.
I've been there in March. If you have a mind for
museums, check out the Victoria & Albert.

> However, I'll do my best to
> participate in architecture discussions and review patches.

I'll be leaving for my new year's eve trip on Dec 29th, too.
I get back on Jan 2nd, that leaves me some time to prepare
patches which you can review after your return. I'll start
work again on Jan 7th with a business trip, so there is no
hurry because I'll be offline anyway.

> As far as priorities are concerned here is my personal list:
>
> * have HttpClient ported to the HttpCore API and to have as many test
> cases ported as possible. I would not like to get bogged down in
> refactoring of some isolated components before we get the whole damn
> thing more or less functional and have sufficient test coverage to
> detect regressions in functionality.

I understand. My problem is that I can't tell how often
I will have to travel. That's why I shun from such a huge
task and would rather focus on particular items for which
I can prepare a patch within one or two days, before I'm
on the road again - or not. The connection stuff is kind
of unfinished business for me :-)

> * Decide whether we ship HttpClient as one artifact (jar) or a
> collection of smaller jars. Probably we should talk about it to the rest
> of Jakarta before the final decision is made.

That can hardly be discussed separately from a combined
HttpComponents jar. Getting Jakarta into the discussion
is a good idea.

> My current task at hand is to port authentication components (HttpAuth).
> If you could take a look at the HttpConn stuff in parallel, it would be
> just awesome.

Ok, I'll do that. The earlier we make significant changes, the
less code will be affected. Refactoring is one of those things
where Eclipse has the upper hand over Emacs.

> Do feel obliged, though.

I do ;-)

> If you feel like spending some
> time hacking just pick up something you consider fun.

Connection interface. Version detection.
I have some less funny things on my list, too. Like getting more
familiar with Maven and the site generator. Maybe also with Maven
and it's JavaDoc plugin.

> I'll try to find time tonight or this weekend the latest to answer
> emails and review patches.

Thanks. If it's the weekend, there is no hurry. I won't be back
from the christmas family visit until Wednesday afternoon.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpClient] (my) next steps

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 20:42 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> year-end break is approaching, and so is a time when I can
> finally spend a few consecutive days on coding again. To be
> precise: from Jan 3rd up to the end of that week. I'd like
> to pick up work on HTTPCLIENT-602 (formerly HTTPCORE-8):
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-602
>
> Before then, I have a few days left this week and one or
> two next week in which I'd like to discuss the matter and
> collect some ideas. That should allow me to get started
> quickly next year.
> Oleg, what are your plans during this timeframe? Anything
> that would require the connection interface to be (mostly)
> complete before mid January? Or is there something else
> in HttpClient that you consider more urgent on which I
> should work?

Hi Roland,

Things are a little bit crazy here. I am quite overstretched with my
'for profit' projects at the moment. I am also expected to work over
Christmas, as we all know evil Commies do not celebrate Christmas. Then,
I promised my wife to take some time off and to not do any hacking (be
it for profit or for fun). We are planing to take a trip to London from
Dec 29th to Jan 6th. So, I am afraid I am not likely be able to
contribute any code way until mid January. However, I'll do my best to
participate in architecture discussions and review patches.

As far as priorities are concerned here is my personal list:

* have HttpClient ported to the HttpCore API and to have as many test
cases ported as possible. I would not like to get bogged down in
refactoring of some isolated components before we get the whole damn
thing more or less functional and have sufficient test coverage to
detect regressions in functionality.

* Decide whether we ship HttpClient as one artifact (jar) or a
collection of smaller jars. Probably we should talk about it to the rest
of Jakarta before the final decision is made.

* Get ALPHA1 out.

Beyond that anything goes.

My current task at hand is to port authentication components (HttpAuth).
If you could take a look at the HttpConn stuff in parallel, it would be
just awesome. Do feel obliged, though. If you feel like spending some