Posted to apachecon-discuss@apache.org by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/14 10:12:57 UTC

ApacheCon N/A tracks - Messaging or Enterprise Integration track ?

There was a concern raised by some people including myself during the
EU CFP time to have a Messaging or Enterprise Integration track
instead of allocating a track completely to a single messing project.
At that time we were too late to raise those issues and also had been
informed that the track chairs are always ready to accept "related"
talks if they looks good but looking at EU schedule I can see one
messing project got number of slots and it's hard to see any other
talks from messaging related projects on same track.

Now we are in CFP for N/A event and still I can't see  Messaging or
Enterprise Integration track instead what I can see is again possible
messaging track is allocated for a specific messaging project in same
as EU event. In case If we have enough space I'm very positive to have
more tracks like "General Messaging" and another track for a specific
messaging project but If we don't have enough space why can't we make
a general messaging track so that number of messaging related projects
can submit their talks and cover more scope/community ?

Taking a different example I always think "Big data" is the ideal name
for a track instead calling it using a specific big data project name.
As I involved organizing number of Apache events in Asia from 2009 I
don't have any concern about impartiality of organizers, also I can
understand the difficulty with EU event with time but clearly in NA
event we have enough time to make changes so that event/tracks will
cover wide range of projects and get wider community attraction.
Finally I expect N/A organizers will consider my comments in a
positive manner.

Thanks !

--
Sagara Gunathunga

Blog      - http://ssagara.blogspot.com
Web      - http://people.apache.org/~sagara/

Re: ApacheCon N/A tracks - Messaging or Enterprise Integration track ?

Posted by Ryan Baxter <rb...@apache.org>.
Just my 2 cents but I would also be in favor of having a messaging track.

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:49 AM, Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone --thanks for your patience on this; I've been on deadline all
> day and have only now had a chance to get to the edit.
>
> If the following meets your approval, we'll update the CFP (and supporting
> marketing) as soon as possible:
>
> "Enterprise Messaging & Integration –-common problems, solutions, and best
> practices with various Apache SOA/infrastructure projects, including
> ActiveMQ, Camel, Qpid, ServiceMix, Shindig, Synapse, Thrift, Tuscany, and
> more."

looks good, thanks Sally !

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sally Khudairi <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ryan Baxter <rb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
Sagara:

Posted by Sagara Gunathunga <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Holden <st...@holdenweb.com>.
On Oct 14, 2012, at 1:12 AM, Sagara Gunathunga wrote:

> There was a concern raised by some people including myself during the
> EU CFP time to have a Messaging or Enterprise Integration track
> instead of allocating a track completely to a single messing project.
> At that time we were too late to raise those issues and also had been
> informed that the track chairs are always ready to accept "related"
> talks if they looks good but looking at EU schedule I can see one
> messing project got number of slots and it's hard to see any other
> talks from messaging related projects on same track.
>
> Now we are in CFP for N/A event and still I can't see  Messaging or
> Enterprise Integration track instead what I can see is again possible
> messaging track is allocated for a specific messaging project in same
> as EU event. In case If we have enough space I'm very positive to have
> more tracks like "General Messaging" and another track for a specific
> messaging project but If we don't have enough space why can't we make
> a general messaging track so that number of messaging related projects
> can submit their talks and cover more scope/community ?

Thanks. In the case of North America, this is probably mostly due to our relative ignorance of the Apache "ecosphere". So I am very glad you have raised the issue. If you can suggest changes to the CfP to make it more inclusive of a wider range we would be grateful for your help. We want to give all projects the opportunity to showcase their work.

> Taking a different example I always think "Big data" is the ideal name
> for a track instead calling it using a specific big data project name.
> As I involved organizing number of Apache events in Asia from 2009 I
> don't have any concern about impartiality of organizers, also I can
> understand the difficulty with EU event with time but clearly in NA
> event we have enough time to make changes so that event/tracks will
> cover wide range of projects and get wider community attraction.
> Finally I expect N/A organizers will consider my comments in a
> positive manner.

We certainly do regard such input as positive, and stand ready to hear your (and everybody else's) suggestions for improving the CfP and making the conference more welcoming to a broader section of the Apache community.

> Thanks !

And thank *you*.

regards
 Steve