Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Matt Seibert <ms...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/09/13 19:46:13 UTC

build / test time

Okay guys,

I know this has been a bad, long week (for me at least it has).....  I
think that with today's last drop, the build process is now fixed again.

However, as some of you have been kind enough to point out, it now takes a
LONG TIME.  This is due to some issues with the componentization, and some
memory problems as part of the process....

I have a "fix" for the times.  It still should keep us well within the
memory constraints, and make things flow more smoothly, as well as quickly.

However, I'm sure that EVERYONE IS SICK of my changes this week, so I'm not
going to put it in today.  I'm going to keep working over the weekend, and
make sure that it is as solid as possible.  I will put it into work on
Monday.

Everyone has a calm and collected weekend.

Matt Seibert                                           mseibert@us.ibm.com
IBM        External:    (512) 838-3656      Internal:   678-3656

Re: build / test time

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> I know this has been a bad, long week (for me at least it has).....  I
> think that with today's last drop, the build process is now fixed again.
>
> However, as some of you have been kind enough to point out, it now takes a
> LONG TIME.  This is due to some issues with the componentization, and some
> memory problems as part of the process....

all the forking, I guess.

fyi here are by build.properties settings for jikes and no forking; all
works well (seemingly)

build.compiler=jikes
axis_nojavadocs=true
build.compiler.emacs=true
foreach.fork=false

> I have a "fix" for the times.  It still should keep us well within the
> memory constraints, and make things flow more smoothly, as well as
quickly.

There is another patch related to <ant> leakage in ant's CVS head as of
today; someone at BEA was having problems and managed to track down another
place where references werent being nulled. He claims he got his build
footprint down to 14MB from 200;

> However, I'm sure that EVERYONE IS SICK of my changes this week, so I'm
not
> going to put it in today.  I'm going to keep working over the weekend, and
> make sure that it is as solid as possible.  I will put it into work on
> Monday.

Actually, when you consider what a big change that's been made to the build
process, its been relatively smooth :). But that is because of the work by
you and dims to keep everything manageable. Gump looks best when the whole
build log is a red colour anyway.

> Everyone has a calm and collected weekend.

I'm off to the UK for two weeks with no net access 'cept inbound email to
SMS   and whatever WLANS are running in central bristol. So dont expect
anything from me till october.