Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in> on 2007/09/18 16:08:23 UTC

OT: Spamtraps

Sorry this is OT.

We run large email setups for our clients and I also have created many
spamtrap ids. But the problem is I dont seem to get many mails in these
ids
How can I best create spamtrap ids.

The standard methods of publishing ids on your site etc doesnt seem to
work

Thanks
Ram

Re: OT: Spamtraps

Posted by Matt <lm...@gmail.com>.
> Sorry this is OT.
>
> We run large email setups for our clients and I also have created many
> spamtrap ids. But the problem is I dont seem to get many mails in these
> ids
> How can I best create spamtrap ids.
>
> The standard methods of publishing ids on your site etc doesnt seem to
> work

Try posting to alt.test and other newsgroups.  Look at spam you
receive for removal form links.  Google for more spamtrap info.

Matt

Re: OT: Spamtraps

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
ram wrote:
> How can I best create spamtrap ids.

Some ideas:

Keep those published-on-the-web spamtraps, and have some patience.
They'll pick them up eventually.

Use a future spamtrap on a mailing list for a week or two, making sure
to put the address in your signature, then unsubscribe it from the list.
  Wait. (And wait long enough that no one's likely to try to contact you
directly regarding the list posts.)

Find some existing spam with unsubscribe links that don't appear to be
address-specific.  Try to unsubscribe using the spamtrap address.  (If
the unsubscribe form is legit, you won't hear back from them.  If not,
and they start sending you spam, they have no business contacting an
address that you used to UNsubscribe.)  Wait.

The bottom line: be patient.  It may take several weeks for them to
bite, but once they do, they won't let go.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: OT: Spamtraps

Posted by NFN Smith <wo...@sacbeemail.com>.
ram wrote:
> Sorry this is OT.
>
> We run large email setups for our clients and I also have created many
> spamtrap ids. But the problem is I dont seem to get many mails in these
> ids
> How can I best create spamtrap ids.
>
> The standard methods of publishing ids on your site etc doesnt seem to
> work

Watch your rejection logs for invalid addresses most commonly hit. On
mine, the most frequent are munged versions of original addresses, where
the address has obviously been harvested, and the harvesting software
has guessed badly, in trying to remove any display names.  Also nearly
all of my domains get varying amounts of regular traffic addressed to
addresses that have never been valid.

I convert those to spamtraps.

In particular, I find it useful to watch the take on munged versions of
valid addresses, as that tends to be a good indicator of the pattern of
stuff that's actually hitting my server.  By contrast, spamtraps that I
watch on a non-production server have different spam patterns, including
a number of varieties of spam that don't hit my production servers.

Smith

R: Spamtraps

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.

I often thought of using some Levenshtein distance function to detect
bounces from ill-configured, bouncing MTAs.

Not real spammers, you now, but anyway people who doesn't help at all in
fighting the spam war. At least to me: it is days now that one of my servers
is under bounce attack...

Giampaolo

Re: Spamtraps

Posted by Andy Sutton <ne...@pessimists.net>.

Re: Spamtraps

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
> Sorry this is OT.
>
> We run large email setups for our clients and I also have
> created many spamtrap ids. But the problem is I dont seem
> to get many mails in these ids
> How can I best create spamtrap ids.
>
> The standard methods of publishing ids on your site etc
> doesnt seem to work
>

> Thanks
> Ram

If you get ANY spam, and they have a link where you can "remove" yourself from their mailinglist, do "remove" yourself using a spamtrap address. That will actually add your address to their mailing list.

You can always post anything to the usenet while configured the nntp-client with a spamtrap address.

You can even post a message "Spam me: myspamtrap@example.com" to usenet alt.alt.spamtrap or any nttp group for that matter.