Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by "Peter Wicks (pwicks)" <pw...@micron.com> on 2019/07/30 16:19:33 UTC

Adding Color to Connections

You know when you have a crazy complex flow, and it's hard sometimes to even tell where things are going? Especially those failure conditions that are all going back to a central Funnel or Port? I thought it would be visually very helpful if you could add Color to your connections, using the existing UI components in place for doing that.

I have a working POC, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-6504.  Which includes a screenshot and link to the branch.

There are a number of open questions:

  *   Should the markers (arrows) be colored also?
  *   Should there be an option to color other components such as funnel's or ports?
  *   I've also considered adding some additional line formatting options such as thickness and dashes, like the dashed green lines you see when creating a new relationship, or the extra thick lines that represent multiple relationships use now.
  *   Should there be an option to adjust connection z-index so that users can make sure a connection isn't overlapping things in a weird way.

The goal of this ticket is fully on making it easier and faster for users to visually understand a flow. Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,
  Peter

RE: [EXT] Re: Adding Color to Connections

Posted by "Peter Wicks (pwicks)" <pw...@micron.com>.
Pierre, There are a few other indicators of back pressure, including the red shadow around the queue and the queue status bars. Do you think these are enough for a user to distinguish between a back pressure queue and a connection that someone marked as red? Any thoughts on how to keep these separate?

Matt, I see that the Bring to Front affects the entire connection, and not just the label. This makes sense, so no complaints there.  I can see where we might make it possible for a user to duplicate an existing style, and thus confuse themselves, such as creating a connection that looks just like a Ghost connection, but isn't.

--Peter

Posted by Matt Gilman <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hey,