Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2015/11/06 02:46:03 UTC

FOSDEM

Hi!

I'd like to resurrect the thread on our participation at FOSDEM:
    https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/FOSDEM+2016

At this point, I'm happy to announce that our proposal
for Big data and Datascience devroom got accepted
and I would expect a lot of ASF projects to be represented there:
    https://hpc-bigdata-fosdem16.github.io/

I am not aware of any other devrooms with strong affinity to
ASF projects, but if you know of any please add them to the
wiki.

On top of that, I've got two question:
   1. Who can tell me what's the latest situation with the ASF booth
    at FOSDEM and who's driving it?

    2. What would be the best way to blast the above devroom's
    CFP URL to all the relevant ASF projects?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, 6 November 2015, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to resurrect the thread on our participation at FOSDEM:
>     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/FOSDEM+2016
>
> At this point, I'm happy to announce that our proposal
> for Big data and Datascience devroom got accepted
> and I would expect a lot of ASF projects to be represented there:
>     https://hpc-bigdata-fosdem16.github.io/
>
> I am not aware of any other devrooms with strong affinity to
> ASF projects, but if you know of any please add them to the
> wiki.

"openEditors" (name might have changed) will be there, and be shared mainly
by AOO and LO.

rgds
jan i

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
I am tentatively planning to go. Also need access to wiki (andrus at objectstyle dot org). I can help at the booth part-time.

Andrus

RE: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Ross Gardler <Ro...@microsoft.com>.
Excellent - thank Daniel

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Great news!

On the last day of ApacheCon EU 2015 I took, by request of Melissa, some
remaining and small booth items for the FOSDEM event home with me as I
already planned to attend the event. I will take these along.

Best regards,

Pierre

Op dinsdag 15 december 2015 heeft Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> het
volgende geschreven:

--
Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Exactly! Although I can't speak from experience from FOSDEM, I can speak from experience from ApacheCons and OSCON!! ;)
Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.
I'll be giving a lightning talk about junit-contract testing in the
Testing and Automation dev room.  I don't know the day or time yet but I
will be around and wiling to do a sting at the ASF booth.

Claude
Apache Jena Team

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Daniel Gruno wrote:
> We have been granted a 2-table stand (the biggest they could offer) at
> FOSDEM to represent the ASF and its projects.

Good news! The OpenOffice booth request (which had been sent as a
backup, with the explicit indication that it should be ignored if the
ASF one was approved) was merged with this one.

> As we'll have several projects to showcase this time around, we will
> have to figure out some sort of rotation, in which the ASF itself has
> one table at all times, and $project has the other table for N hours at
> a time.

FOSDEM is a bit chaotic (in a good sense) by nature, so I don't think we
need to really allocate hours to projects. If you wish, sure we can; but
we might also be happy being there as one group, that's the fun part of it.

> This would be an excellent time for projects who wish to be present at
> FOSDEM to put themselves on the list at
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/FOSDEM+2016

I still need write access to that page despite several requests (even in
this same thread). If access is problematic (user pescetti, mail my
@apache.org mail) and a text-based version of the page is available, I
can submit patches, but I have no idea how it can work for Confluence.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 12/15/2015 02:46 PM, Alexander Bezzubov wrote:
> Used to be able to edit the wiki but apparently not any more.
>
> Could anybody please grant the permission and I will update the page about
> Zeppelin envolvement.

Granted.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Alexander Bezzubov <bz...@apache.org>.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 12/15/2015 04:54 AM, Sharan Foga wrote:
> On a practical note - where do people stay? Do we have an ASF hotel or
> discount somewhere for accommodation?

No, we don't have a discount, although rooms tend to be available at
every point on the budget scale.

I will mention, however, that I booked about a month ago and rooms were
already hard to find.

Also, for those who haven't been to FOSDEM before, be aware that
although the event is at the University, most people tend to stay in the
area around Grand Place, near Central Station, because that's where all
of the evening events tend to be. If you get a room near the conference
venue, you'll be sad and lonely in the evenings.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 12/15/2015 11:01 AM, Upayavira wrote:
>> I also currently plan to attend, but can't update the wiki.
>
> I've added you, Sharan and Pierre to the wiki space now.

Can I be added too, please? I also currently plan to attend, but can't
update the wiki.

Thanks,
   Andrea.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: [UPDATE] FOSDEM

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

[UPDATE] FOSDEM

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by Sharan Foga <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I'm planning to be there and have volunteered to help out on the Apache
booth. Please can I get access to the wiki too so that I can confirm my
attendance and update any related details. My confluence name is 'sharan'.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

http://s.apache.org/rCo

> but if you know of any please add them to the wiki.

I don't have time/access now. I will do it unless someone else manages
to do it before I do.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Thu, Nov 5, 2015, at 08:46 PM, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to resurrect the thread on our participation at FOSDEM:
>     https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/FOSDEM+2016
>
> At this point, I'm happy to announce that our proposal
> for Big data and Datascience devroom got accepted
> and I would expect a lot of ASF projects to be represented there:
>     https://hpc-bigdata-fosdem16.github.io/
>
> I am not aware of any other devrooms with strong affinity to
> ASF projects, but if you know of any please add them to the
> wiki.
>
> On top of that, I've got two question:
>    1. Who can tell me what's the latest situation with the ASF booth
>     at FOSDEM and who's driving it?
>
>     2. What would be the best way to blast the above devroom's
>     CFP URL to all the relevant ASF projects?

Putting it out on Twitter via the ASF account would probably be a good
idea.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: FOSDEM

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
Hi Roman,
I'm the on-point between FOSDEM and the ASF at the moment regarding a
stand at the conference. As the proposal for stands doesn't close til
November 30th, it will be quite a while before we hear back whether
we've got a booth or not, and if so, how large. We have requested a
double table so we can both represent the foundation itself and rotate
between projects wanting a presence at the conference.

As for 2, I would imagine either the pmcs list or, maybe in the spirit
of FOSDEM, committers@ ? ;)

With regards,
Daniel.