Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Antoine Boucher <an...@haltondc.com> on 2022/04/05 19:46:36 UTC

Unauthorized access to VR VM

Someone has externally gained access to one of our VR vm and installed an application that tried to ssh to other ips on the web.

The VR started to miss health checks about a day ago, looking at the VR running process we discovered that the process ksoftirqd was 95% busy.  We killed the VR and discovered during our investigation from other systems that the vm was blasting the web trying to connect on port 22.   Unfortunately, the vr has been deleted.

What could have happened? Any known security issues on the 4.16.1.0 vr template?

Regards,
Antoine

Re: Unauthorized access to VR VM

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks for sharing and investigating Antoine. As you've found it was the guest VM and not the VR that for compromised. VR can't be ssh'd into public network at all.

Regards.
Posted by Antoine Boucher <an...@haltondc.com>.
Thank you gents,

Posted by ahmed jabbar <ah...@gmail.com>.