Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ToFu <su...@spankhouse.net> on 2003/10/26 23:34:37 UTC

[users@httpd] best params for hi-volume website

I'm new to thist list, so hi everyone.

I'm running quite a bit of traffic for a site.  Just got a used box, and
installed Apache 2.047.  I'm trying to figure out the ideal configs to max
this thing out.  Here are details of what I'm doing:

 - content = images (6k - 100k/each) + video (~1.3mg/each) -- 20%/80%
respectively.
 - static http traffic only (i.e. no programming underneath).
 - approximately 75k - 100k unique visitors/day
 - 600k - 1.5million hits/day
 - 25gb - 40gb/day

My question is, what is the ideal configuration for httpd.conf -- regards to
max threads, wait time, etc.  Does anyone have an opinion on this one?

Machine Specifics:
OS    Debian/Linux (2.42 kernel)
CPU    dual PIII 677mhz
RAM    512mb
Disk    2 x 18g (SCSI RAID 1)

Current httpd.conf settings:
####
#
# Timeout: The number of seconds before receives and sends time out.
#
Timeout 300

#
# KeepAlive: Whether or not to allow persistent connections (more than
# one request per connection). Set to "Off" to deactivate.
#
KeepAlive On

#
# MaxKeepAliveRequests: The maximum number of requests to allow
# during a persistent connection. Set to 0 to allow an unlimited amount.
# We recommend you leave this number high, for maximum performance.
#
MaxKeepAliveRequests 250

#
# KeepAliveTimeout: Number of seconds to wait for the next request from the
# same client on the same connection.
#
KeepAliveTimeout 15

##
## Server-Pool Size Regulation (MPM specific)
##

# prefork MPM
# StartServers: number of server processes to start
# MinSpareServers: minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxSpareServers: maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxClients: maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers         5
MinSpareServers     10
MaxSpareServers     10
MaxClients         250
MaxRequestsPerChild 10
</IfModule>

# worker MPM
# StartServers: initial number of server processes to start
# MaxClients: maximum number of simultaneous client connections
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# ThreadsPerChild: constant number of worker threads in each server process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         2
MaxClients         250
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  10
</IfModule>

# perchild MPM
# NumServers: constant number of server processes
# StartThreads: initial number of worker threads in each server process
# MinSpareThreads: minimum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxSpareThreads: maximum number of worker threads which are kept spare
# MaxThreadsPerChild: maximum number of worker threads in each server
process
# MaxRequestsPerChild: maximum number of connections per server process
<IfModule perchild.c>
NumServers           5
StartThreads         5
MinSpareThreads      5
MaxSpareThreads     10
MaxThreadsPerChild  20
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

Anyone??

Re: [users@httpd] best params for hi-volume website

Posted by ToFu <su...@spankhouse.net>.
Goood one Joshua.  I discovered that document a bit earlier -- and sure
enough, the worker mpm outstrips the prefork in terms of performance.  I'm
going to update some other installations I have as well.

Thanks!!

Todd

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.