Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by "R. Scholz" <re...@abakus-edv-systems.de> on 2019/05/21 19:35:40 UTC

upgrade OM-Version for two domains/ports

Hello,

today, after getting the info that Maxim had programmed a lot, I try to
implement the actual 5.0.0-M2.
(Specially the correction that the invitation-link for the two domains
works correct now.)

(Before I had installed the OM 5.0.0-M2 a few weeks ago.)

It was a desaster.

Here my story:
- I made a backup: /./admin.sh -b -file backup-21052019.zip -> /Works good./
/- after that I download the actual 5.0.0-M2-Snapshot, unpack, overwrite
the old version
- and with a smile/./admin.sh -v -i -file ../Backup/backup-21052019.zip
--drop --skip-default-objects/
BOOM
Java-Engine wants version 55 (or something like that), and I had the
version 52.
<SIGH>
OK, no problem. "Repository-implemting" is one of the easy-things in
life.Looking which version I want: Version 11.
And installing, removing. Time for a cup of coffee.

- Once again: /./admin.sh -v -i -file ../Backup/backup-21052019.zip
--drop --skip-default-objects/
<BOOM> Warning: Star Trek: Red Alert.
<SIGH>
OK, //etc/init.d/tomcat3 stop/
- Once again: /./admin.sh -v -i -file ../Backup/backup-21052019.zip
--drop --skip-default-objects/
Wonderful. It works.

- Browser: OM-Link called: https-warning.
My server.xml is away. Why is it not in the backup? It is manually edit.
<SIGH> Good, no problem, edit server.xml, implement all the things for
my two ports with the fresh letsencrypt-certificates.

//etc/init.d/tomcat3 stop
////etc/init.d/tomcat3 start
tail -f /opt/open500/logs/catalina.out

//Waiting 2 minutes. Why it is so slowly till the message in the
cataöina.out appears? I can't drink so much coffee I have to wait...

- Once again: Browser: OM-Link: The installation begins.
WHAT? Where is my configuration?
OK: Once again installation.

And, expected, I had to modify the mysql-blanbla-libary to implement the
region-settings.

After that: All is OK, my rooms are there, my further files too.

HURRA!

Why is it so complicated? OK, I think all of you are Linux-Professionals
- I am not. I have a little idea what there is into a computer.

Is it possible to write a "automatically updater"?  Every stupid
windows-program have something like that.
A message appears that there is a new version, click OK (or not) and
then it goes. All settings survive.

OK, I let off steam. Tomorrows is another day with a lot of sun and good
hope.

Have a good night and with best regards,

Rene

Re: upgrade OM-Version for two domains/ports

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Rene,

I'll try to answer inline

On Wed, 22 May 2019 at 02:53, R. Scholz <re...@abakus-edv-systems.de>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> today, after getting the info that Maxim had programmed a lot, I  try to
> implement the actual 5.0.0-M2.
> (Specially the correction that the invitation-link for the two domains
> works correct now.)
>
> (Before I had installed the OM 5.0.0-M2 a few weeks ago.)
>
> It was a desaster.
>
> Here my story:
> - I made a backup:  *./admin.sh -b -file backup-21052019.zip -> *Works
> good.
> - after that I download the actual 5.0.0-M2-Snapshot, unpack, overwrite
> the old version

_Overwrite_ is extremely *bad* idea
You need to delete old version (or even better move it to let's say
om5XXX.bak)
create new folder `om5` extract package in this fresh folder

(It is written in the docs)

> - and with a smile* ./admin.sh -v -i -file ../Backup/backup-21052019.zip
> --drop --skip-default-objects*
> BOOM
> Java-Engine wants version 55 (or something like that), and I had the
> version 52.
> <SIGH>

Update to Java11 was discussed in the lists and will be in announce for M2
:)))

> OK, no problem. "Repository-implemting" is one of the easy-things in
> life.Looking which version I want: Version 11.
> And installing, removing. Time for a cup of coffee.
>
> - Once again: * ./admin.sh -v -i -file ../Backup/backup-21052019.zip
> --drop --skip-default-objects*
> <BOOM> Warning: Star Trek: Red Alert.
> <SIGH>
> OK, */etc/init.d/tomcat3 stop*

This should be *step 0* :))))

> - Once again: * ./admin.sh -v -i -file ../Backup/backup-21052019.zip
> --drop --skip-default-objects*
> Wonderful. It works.
>
> - Browser: OM-Link called: https-warning.
> My server.xml is away. Why is it not in the backup? It is manually edit.
> <SIGH> Good, no problem, edit server.xml, implement all the things for my
> two ports with the fresh letsencrypt-certificates.

Here you can just copy your server.xml and other manually edited files from
your om5XXX.bak folder

> */etc/init.d/tomcat3 stop *
>

> */etc/init.d/tomcat3 start tail -f /opt/open500/logs/catalina.out *Waiting
> 2 minutes. Why it is so slowly till the message in the cataöina.out
> appears? I can't drink so much coffee I have to wait...
>
> - Once again: Browser: OM-Link: The installation begins.
> WHAT? Where is my configuration?
> OK: Once again installation.
>
> And, expected, I had to modify the mysql-blanbla-libary to implement the
> region-settings.
>
> After that: All is OK, my rooms are there, my further files too.
>
> HURRA!
>
> Why is it so complicated? OK, I think all of you are Linux-Professionals -
> I am not. I have a little idea what there is into a computer.
>
> Is it possible to write a "automatically updater"?  Every stupid
> windows-program have something like that.
> A message appears that there is a new version, click OK (or not) and then
> it goes. All settings survive.

Backup currently saves all DB data + custom.css file
It is near to impossible to do automatic backup due to:
1) you can tune tomcat in million ways
2) you can use some custom java DB driver (it can have any name)
3) you can manually customize language files (Application*.xml)
4) you can manually customize html pages/email templates

I would love to implement painless backup/restore mechanism but OM was
designed to be highly customizable and you have pay for it ....

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax