Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by jr...@lexmark.com on 2003/10/14 21:26:20 UTC

Problem with svn list

Hello.

I'm currently using subversion 0.29 and I'm encountering some problems
with the svn list command.

I got the following results when I entered this command:
svn list --verbose http://server-name/repos

_     16    ?     28361 Oct 10 23:18 README.htm
_     27    ?     0     Oct 10 15:27 directory1/
_     24    ?     0     Oct 10 11:27 directory2/

The "README.txt" and "directory1" have properties but the result of the svn
list denotes
that they don't have properties.  And why am I getting a "?" for the users?

When I entered this command: svn plist --verbose
http://server-name/repos/directory1,
I received the following result:

Properties on 'http://server-name/repos/directory1':
class : directory

When I entered this command: svn plist --verbose
http://server-name/repos/README.htm,
I received the following result:

Properties on 'http://server-name/repos/README.htm':
svn:mime-type : text/html

Sincerely,
Jerry

Re: Problem with svn list

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>
>>So, developers, what's to become of that field and its description?
>
> Bah, nuke it.  I created that field long ago, and it's silly.  :-)

Sounds good to me.  Will do.

- Julian

Re: Problem with svn list

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.

Re: Problem with svn list

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Problem with svn list

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Julian Foad wrote:
> Julian Foad wrote:
>
>> jrodrigu@lexmark.com wrote:
>>
>>> svn list --verbose http://server-name/repos
>>>
>>> _     16    ?     28361 Oct 10 23:18 README.htm
>>> _     27    ?     0     Oct 10 15:27 directory1/
>>> _     24    ?     0     Oct 10 11:27 directory2/
>>>
>>> The "README.txt" and "directory1" have properties but the result of
>>> the svn list denotes that they don't have properties.
>>
>> Thank you for reporting this.  I can reproduce this on RA-local.
>
> Correction: I can't reproduce this on RA-local, but I can on RA-DAV.
>
> I will remove it anyway, because I agree with Ben Collins-Sussman that
> it's silly, but first I want to find out why it's broken because other
> parts of the software may be using that dirent->has_props field internally.

Found and fixed in r7431.  subversion/libsvn_ra_dav/fetch.c was using "sizeof()" instead of "sizeof()-1" to get the size of a constant string.

'P' column removed in r7432.

Book examples updated accordingly, and file size column increased to 10 digits, as requested some time ago, in r7433.

- Julian

Re: Problem with svn list

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.

Re: Problem with svn list

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: Problem with svn list

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
jrodrigu@lexmark.com wrote:

> svn list --verbose http://server-name/repos
>
> _     16    ?     28361 Oct 10 23:18 README.htm
> _     27    ?     0     Oct 10 15:27 directory1/
> _     24    ?     0     Oct 10 11:27 directory2/
>
> The "README.txt" and "directory1" have properties but the result of the svn
> list denotes that they don't have properties.

Thank you for reporting this.  I can reproduce this on RA-local.  It was me that added the description of the "list" output fields to the book and to the help recently, and I wrote "'P' if the file has any properties" based on a guess from reading the source code.  I don't actually know whether that is the intended meaning of that field.  Thinking about it now, it is not a very useful meaning because it doesn't scale well: in a large project, it is quite likely that every item has properties (EOL-style, project-specific properties, ...).  Maybe the intended meaning is something else, and just the description is wrong.

So, developers, what's to become of that field and its description?

>  And why am I getting a "?" for the users?

It could be because the files were checked in to the repository without Apache knowing the user name.  You have to configure authentication in order to get user names.  Try "svn info README.htm".  If it does not say "Last commit author: <your username>" then that is probably the problem.

- Julian

Re: Problem with svn list

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.