Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/07 20:24:35 UTC

slider report draft

Please review this report draft for March 2018. It is due today.

--------------------
Slider

Slider is a collection of tools and technologies to package, deploy, and
manage long running applications on Apache Hadoop YARN clusters.

Slider has been incubating since 2014-04-29.

Most important issues to address in the move towards graduation:
  Since new development on one of Slider's primary maven modules has
  moved to the hadoop-yarn-services-core module in Apache Hadoop,
  development of other Slider modules has also tailed off. The Slider
  community needs to decide whether we should retire the remaining
  Slider code or propose graduation.

aware of?

  No additional issues.

  Mailing list and commit activity have continued at a low rate. We invited
  a new committer / PPMC member, Kyungwan Nam.

  An improvement to allow Slider to work in multi-homed environments is
  in progress and we have fixed a couple of bugs related to certificate
  management and functional test failures when running on newer versions
  of Hadoop.

How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  [ ] Initial setup
  [ ] Working towards first release
  [ ] Community building
  [ ] Nearing graduation
  [x] Other: Discussing direction

Date of last release:

   2017-03-23 slider-0.92.0-incubating

When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

  2018-02-21 New committer and PPMC member Kyungwan Nam

Re: slider report draft

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@apache.org>.
Given the progress of development in hadoop-yarn-services, I think this community should start the retirement proceedings.

The things to figure out when the retirement happens is the website redirect, past releases' bits and any outstanding apps that are not yet migrated.

Thanks
+Vinod

Re: slider report draft

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.