[users@httpd] Traffic Control over VirtualHosts

Hi list members,

   I have an Apache webserver 2.0 installed on a Linux 7.0 OS running
together with Tomcat 4.0. I use several virtual hosts and I want to know if
is there an way to measure all the traffic that each virtual host consume.
The problem is that I only know all the income and outcoming traffic from my
machine but I really need to measure the traffic from each virtual host.
Usually each VH uses FTP connection, HTTPD connection, POP/SMTP connections
and MYSQL connections. Anyone know an way to archive this?

Thanks for any answer!

Regards,

Felipe Moreno

Re: [users@httpd] Traffic Control over VirtualHosts

Posted by Simon Dassow <ja...@area319.de>.
I dont believe you've running linux 7... current stable is 2.4.19...
anyways... you want something like iptables with these two rules:
iptables -A INPUT -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUPUT -j ACCEPT

If you're now doing 'iptables -vnL' you can see the generated traffic...
really ugly, i know.
Maybe you want mrtg instead... there're a lot of tool to accomplish
that.

regards,
simon

On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 13:50, Felipe Moreno - MAILING LISTS wrote:
> Hi list members,
>
>    I have an Apache webserver 2.0 installed on a Linux 7.0 OS running
> together with Tomcat 4.0. I use several virtual hosts and I want to know if
> is there an way to measure all the traffic that each virtual host consume.
> The problem is that I only know all the income and outcoming traffic from my
> machine but I really need to measure the traffic from each virtual host.
> Usually each VH uses FTP connection, HTTPD connection, POP/SMTP connections
> and MYSQL connections. Anyone know an way to archive this?
>
> Thanks for any answer!
>
> Regards,
>
> Felipe Moreno

Re: [users@httpd] Traffic Control over VirtualHosts

Posted by pi...@goldfisch.at.
There are several tools to accomplish your demand:

maybe the best is a weblog-analyzer like webalize that can deal with
VirtualHosts and print the total sum of sent data also.

of course you can also use a tool like ntop that measures all the
traffic and can generate statistics by host/protocol/port.

Then there is mrtg and its big brother (dont know the name) that can
display almost everything if you have the right sensor.

hope this helps,
peter

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 10:50:02AM -0200, Felipe Moreno - MAILING LISTS wrote:
> Hi list members,
>
>    I have an Apache webserver 2.0 installed on a Linux 7.0 OS running
> together with Tomcat 4.0. I use several virtual hosts and I want to know if
> is there an way to measure all the traffic that each virtual host consume.
> The problem is that I only know all the income and outcoming traffic from my
> machine but I really need to measure the traffic from each virtual host.
> Usually each VH uses FTP connection, HTTPD connection, POP/SMTP connections
> and MYSQL connections. Anyone know an way to archive this?
>
> Thanks for any answer!
>
> Regards,
>
> Felipe Moreno

mag. peter pilsl