Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com> on 2009/03/20 01:51:11 UTC

Timers vs. setInterval(), etc.

Just wanted to add one more justification for continuing to provide a
static method to schedule callbacks: web browsers have a tendency to
randomly kill timer (and other daemon) threads. This may have been
fixed in J6u10+, but I'd guess that it is still a problem when running
applets with separate_jvm set to false (i.e. "legacy" mode). There's
also no official word on when J6u10 will be available on the Mac and
64-bit Linux.

ApplicationContext can detect this condition and reschedule the tasks.
Also, if timers continue to be a problem in applets, we have the
option of implementing a different solution "under the hood" in
ApplicationContext such that application code doesn't need to change.