Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2007/11/13 16:59:59 UTC

Prioritized list of 1.4 things to do

Hi folks:

Deepal and I just did a quick prioritization pass on the list at [1].
Please take a look and see if it matches your view of the world.  We
tried to be pretty simple about it, marking things on a three-level
scale where 1 = critical, 2 = important, and 3 = nice to have.

Couple of quick things to note - 1) we didn't consider how easy/hard
these things are; so some of the 3's are going to be 5-minute quick
fixes which can get done any time.  2) some of the priorities are about
making sure we finish discussion/design on things - so even if it's a
(1) that doesn't necessarily mean we'll change any code, just that we
MUST have the conversation soon.

Thanks,
--G & D

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis2/post-1%2e3-plans

Re: Prioritized list of 1.4 things to do

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Glen Daniels wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> Deepal and I just did a quick prioritization pass on the list at [1].
> Please take a look and see if it matches your view of the world.  We
> tried to be pretty simple about it, marking things on a three-level
> scale where 1 = critical, 2 = important, and 3 = nice to have.
>
> Couple of quick things to note - 1) we didn't consider how easy/hard
> these things are; so some of the 3's are going to be 5-minute quick
> fixes which can get done any time.  2) some of the priorities are
> about making sure we finish discussion/design on things - so even if
> it's a (1) that doesn't necessarily mean we'll change any code, just
> that we MUST have the conversation soon.

What is the difference between
" (1) Review and improve build targets (docs, tests, dists)" vs.  " (2)
Build cleanup". I thought they were the same or at least could have done
in parallel.

Also, I thought documents should be (1) as well. Even though documents
have improved a great deal over time, the flow of the documentation
could be improved a great deal IMHO. And it is always good to do it
sooner than later.

Thanks,
Samisa...

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi all,

I would like to make some suggestions to the list.

1. As given in the wiki page RPC literal support is there. So we can remove it.
2. Confirm that J2W/W2J do not generate "java." or "javax." stuff
    what does this mean? wsdl2java generate the package name using the
namespace or
as given in the np2p mapping. So it won't generate it unless someone
specifically gives it.

3. Integrate WSDL validator w/codegen
    I think this is a nice to have feature. I belive people use tools
generate the wsdl files. So these
tools anyway have the validation support as well. On the other hand
generating a code with a wsdl2java is a
one time work. So the people can download any validation tools
available and validate it before generating
code with wsdl2java. ( this is what normally happens now). And also
currently wsdl2java provides a reasonable validation. So I belive
improving it would be a better approach.

4. NIO HTTP transport receiver (SimpleAxisServer)
Why do we need to improve SimpleAxisServer? I thought it is only for
testing purposes.

thanks,
Amila.

On Nov 13, 2007 9:29 PM, Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> Hi folks:
>
> Deepal and I just did a quick prioritization pass on the list at [1].
> Please take a look and see if it matches your view of the world.  We
> tried to be pretty simple about it, marking things on a three-level
> scale where 1 = critical, 2 = important, and 3 = nice to have.
>
> Couple of quick things to note - 1) we didn't consider how easy/hard
> these things are; so some of the 3's are going to be 5-minute quick
> fixes which can get done any time.  2) some of the priorities are about
> making sure we finish discussion/design on things - so even if it's a
> (1) that doesn't necessarily mean we'll change any code, just that we
> MUST have the conversation soon.
>
> Thanks,
> --G & D
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis2/post-1%2e3-plans

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: Prioritized list of 1.4 things to do

Posted by robert lazarski <ro...@gmail.com>.
Since I'm doing a lot with axis2 / spring / hibernate at the moment, I
volunteer to do the "Full-on enterprise sample (hibernate/spring/etc)"
 - once we decide what that means. By enterprise do we mean app
servers? Keep in mind hibernate is LGPL so we can't include it any
sample - its kind of big anyways. We could I suppose ask the users to
download it and follow the sample code.

Robert

Posted by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Glen and Deepal,

How about refactoring Axis2 into 3 bundles (server, client, optional) as
has been discussed on the mailing list? I'm not saying this necessarily
needs to get done in this release (although that would be great) but I
think at least the Axis2 team should come to a decision on what will be
done in this respect. For bonus points that decision can be documented on
a wiki page or in a Jira issue so the rest of the community can understand
the direction the project is taking.

Lawrence

Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>
11/13/2007 10:59 AM
Please respond to
axis-dev@ws.apache.org

Axis-Dev <ax...@ws.apache.org>
cc

Subject

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Brian,

> Hi Glen,
>
> What is the reasoning behind this requirement:
>
>     * (1) Remove fault flows? (this is prioritized as critical because
>       we need to finish the discussion whether or not we decide to do it)

The problem is most of the time we can not figure out the message if
fault or not until [if the message is encrypted] we come to the middle
of the handler chain. So we first start the invoke inflow and then tend
to invoke infault flow. We wont be removing faultout flow but we might
remove infault flow.

Thanks
Deepal

Re: Prioritized list of 1.4 things to do

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
> Hi Glen and Deepal,
>
> -------------------------
> (2) Axiom performance
>
> This is a high priority for me. Especially with Attachment
> performance. You will see more work from me and Nikhil Thaker with
> regards to this item.
>
> -------------------------
> WSCOMMONS-227 "Move Attachment object from MessageContext to
> OMDocument" is also another high priority.
> I don't like the fact that the Attachments and the OM tree
> (SOAPEnvelope) are treated as separate entities. We should be
> passing around OMDocument (SOAPMessage) objects.
>
> --------------------------
> A related area is memory footprint. I would like to see more work in
> this space. Let me know where I can assist.
>
> --------------------------
>
> I just arrived at ApacheCon today. Hope to see some of you.

We will be there in the hackathon area .

Thanks
Deepal

Re: Prioritized list of 1.4 things to do

Posted by R J Scheuerle Jr <sc...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Glen and Deepal,

-------------------------
(2) Axiom performance

This is a high priority for me.  Especially with Attachment performance.
You will see more work from me and Nikhil Thaker with regards to this item.

-------------------------
WSCOMMONS-227 "Move Attachment object from MessageContext to OMDocument" is
also another high priority.
I don't like the fact that the Attachments and the OM tree (SOAPEnvelope)
are treated as separate entities.  We should be
passing around OMDocument (SOAPMessage) objects.

--------------------------
A related area is memory footprint.  I would like to see more work in this
space.  Let me know where I can assist.

--------------------------

I just arrived at ApacheCon today.  Hope to see some of you.

Rich Scheuerle
IBM Web Services
Apache Axis2 (scheu@apache.org)
512-838-5115  (IBM TL 678-5115)

Posted by Brian De Pradine <PR...@uk.ibm.com>.
Hi Glen,

What is the reasoning behind this requirement:

(1) Remove fault flows? (this is prioritized as critical because we need
to finish the discussion whether or not we decide to do it)

Cheers

Brian DePradine
Web Services Development
IBM Hursley
External  +44 (0) 1962 816319         Internal 246319

If you can't find the time to do it right the first time, where will you
find the time to do it again?

Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> wrote on 13/11/2007 15:59:59:

> Hi folks:
>
> Deepal and I just did a quick prioritization pass on the list at [1].
> Please take a look and see if it matches your view of the world.  We
> tried to be pretty simple about it, marking things on a three-level
> scale where 1 = critical, 2 = important, and 3 = nice to have.
>
> Couple of quick things to note - 1) we didn't consider how easy/hard
> these things are; so some of the 3's are going to be 5-minute quick
> fixes which can get done any time.  2) some of the priorities are about
> making sure we finish discussion/design on things - so even if it's a
> (1) that doesn't necessarily mean we'll change any code, just that we
> MUST have the conversation soon.
>
> Thanks,
> --G & D
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Axis2/post-1%2e3-plans