Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/26 22:29:09 UTC

Call for Engagement: Open Source in Aerospace Workshop Fed 29th - March 3rd, 2016

Hi dev@community,

Wanted to make people aware of the above workshop which we are proposing to
co-locate at the Ground Data System Architecture Workshop [0].
The Open Source in Aerospace Workshop is planned for one full day with the
principle objective being community building.

Preparation for the workshop will involve the solicitation of position
papers from the community on one of the following topics, determined to be
relevant to OS:

Process, Maintenance, Reputation, Communities, Intellectual Property,
Export Regulations, Security and Governance.

Position papers will describe a basis for exploring and discussing the
given topic, and will identify both a leader and a scribe, by name.  The
workshop chairs will select up to four topics for breakout sessions at the
workshop, based on quality and relevance of received position papers.

If you work within or have a vetted interest in the Aerospace industry and
are interested in attending the workshop it would be highly appreciated if
you could get in touch and let me know your interest as we are in the
process of advancing preparation.

Thanks, have a great weekend folks.
Lewis

[0] http://gsaw.org/

--
*Lewis*

Re: Call for Engagement: Open Source in Aerospace Workshop Fed 29th - March 3rd, 2016

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shane,

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:02 PM, <de...@community.apache.org>
wrote:

> It's great to see so many serious scientific/aerospace applications that
> Apache projects are being used for.

Agreed :)

> Random question: does anyone have a list, or even rough number, of how
> many satellites/rockets out in space are currently running software
> that includes code from an Apache project?  Or, where is the furthest
> away satellite that includes code from an Apache project?
>
> It's *really* cool to think about how Apache projects are both helping
> people on Earth, but also scientists exploring the universe!

Pretty positive I could get the info for you from the NASA perspective...
I'll see what I can do.
On another note, Chris Mattmann usually touches base with Sally with
announcements regarding Apache tech onboard and in use within ground data
systems and other active and passive usage of Apache tech in scientific use
@NASA.

Re: Call for Engagement: Open Source in Aerospace Workshop Fed 29th - March 3rd, 2016

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
It's great to see so many serious scientific/aerospace applications that
Apache projects are being used for.

Random question: does anyone have a list, or even rough number, of how
many satellites/rockets out in space are currently running software
that includes code from an Apache project?  Or, where is the furthest
away satellite that includes code from an Apache project?

It's *really* cool to think about how Apache projects are both helping
people on Earth, but also scientists exploring the universe!

- Shane