Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Zacharias J. Beckman" <zb...@creativesun.com> on 2000/01/08 21:26:36 UTC

Re: Context configuration [was: Windows 98]

Speaking of contexts:

>         Set zones (aka contexts) by following the FAQ

I had thought I'd be able to create a different context for different virtual
hosts. Then, I would be able to mount specific contexts within VirtualHost
blocks in the Apache config files. The goal, of course, that I could
essentially create contexts that worked only within its virtual host,
transparently adding JSP support to existing sites.

I then wanted to try mounting the context at the root of the virtual host. So,
for a given web site, I might have:
<VirtualHost www.foo.com>
    ApJservMount / /foocontext
</VirtualHost>

None of this works. I clearly don't understand contexts completely, or the
ApJservMount keywords. But, I also suspect that this is simply beyond Tomcat's
capabilities at this time.

Worse, it seems that trying to mount contexts in this way actually "breaks"
existing web sites. I haven't been able to add JSP support to different virtual
hosts without actually changing the web site pages (i.e.: introducing a
top-level "/foo_jsp" directory, a different one for each virtual host, or
something like this).

Any comments or suggestions?
--
Zacharias J. Beckman - zbeckman@creativesun.com - (U.S.) 305-281-8701
Creative Sun Inc., Publishing for the Internet - http://www.creativesun.com

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even
though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who
neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that
knows neither victory nor defeat. -- Theodore Roosevelt