Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ben Yau <by...@cardcommerce.com> on 2004/01/03 01:02:22 UTC

[users@httpd] IT GETS WEIRDER!!! RE: [users@httpd] Apache/Redhat Simple AuthType Basic not working :( help please

Tom !! I'm not alone in the world!

Okay, so the old admin had a habit of doing a lot of copying and pasting.
In doing so of the 9 authnames there were only 2 unique ones . So  Iwent in
and made each authname unique.  Then I went to a server were the auth was
working and the authname on the dialog box WAS NOT EVEN ONE DEFINED IN THE
HTTPD.CONF!!

I created "hello world" test.html files just to ensure that it was loading
the HTML from the machine i though it should be.  and it was . However, the
authname that came up was not in the httpd.conf file for the apache server
running on that machine.

So anyone seen THAT before ?

echo "hello world from youthfocusfund" > /home/www/yff/test.html
echo "hello world from auto-rebates.com" >
/home/www/reports.auto-rebates.com/test.html

# grep -i "authname" httpd.conf
AuthName SSLStaging1
AuthName SSLStaging2
AuthName        testing3
AuthName "Escrip Staging1"
AuthName "Escrip Staging2"
AuthName SSLStaging4
AuthName YOUTHFOCUSFUND
AuthName SSLStaging5
AuthName REPORTSAUTOREBATE

# apachectl stop
# apachectl start
(just to be sure)

load up www.youthfocusfund.com/test.html
asks for user/password and the authname says "SSLStaging"  (??) .  I type in
my user pass and it loads up the proper test.html page.  (how is my
user/pass even working ? Or how is that authname getting in there?)

load up www.reports.auto-rebates.com/test.html
loads up, no questoins asked.

Further, just to make sure.

# grep -i documentroot httpd.conf

all the docroots are in /home/www.  Just to make sure there are no stray
.htaccess flie (or any other access file)

# cd /home/www
# find . -type f -print | xargs grep -i authname 2> /dev/null

All the authnames which come up are not SSLStaging

agggghhh

thanks for your help so far guys :)  I think this one may be beyond me .
I'm asking the legacy admin right now and he's just as puzzled.

ben y

[users@httpd] backout works : re: Apache/Redhat Simple AuthType Basic not working :( help please

Posted by Ben Yau <by...@cardcommerce.com>.
Tom.
Thanks for the tip.  We recentlyupgraded to 2.0.48.  I downgraded to 2.0.45
(prevoius versoin) and it works now.

Also, the authname on the dialog box is a valid one defined in the
httpd.conf file.  The identical httpd.conf file in the 2.0.48 apache
1) did not auth for reports.auto-rebate.com
2) did auth for youthfocusfund.com but with an authname that wasn't in
httpd.conf

go figure  :/
Thanks for your help!  And for tolerating my crazinesss!

ben y