Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by Konstantinos Mavrommatis <km...@celgene.com> on 2014/07/10 11:22:31 UTC

UPDATE-PROBABLY SOLVED: File manager keeps connections to SOLR in CLOSE_WAIT state for hours

Hi,

Following the suggestion at

http://blogs.nuxeo.com/development/2013/02/using-httpclient-properly-avoid-closewait-tcp-connections/

I modified the code in

src/main/java/org/apache/oodt/cas/filemgr/catalog/solr/SolrClient.java

and added the line highlighted in red (method.setRequestHeader(“Connection”,”close”).

This seems to have resolved the problem at least until now ingestion of few thousand files have not produced any stale connection.

Please let me know your thoughts on this solution.

Best,

Konstantinos

private String doHttp(HttpMethod method) throws Exception {

                StringBuilder response = new StringBuilder();

                BufferedReader br = null;

                try {

            // send request

                        HttpClient httpClient = new HttpClient();

                        // 10 July 2014. attempting to avoid problems with CLOSE_WAIT connections Based on

                        //http://blogs.nuxeo.com/development/2013/02/using-httpclient-properly-avoid-closewait-tcp-connections/

                        method.setRequestHeader("Connection", "close");

            int statusCode = httpClient.executeMethod(method);

            // read response

            if (statusCode != HttpStatus.SC_OK) {

                // still consume the response

                method.getResponseBodyAsString();

              throw new CatalogException("HTTP method failed: " + method.getStatusLine());

            } else {

                    // read the response body.

                    br = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(method.getResponseBodyAsStream()));

        String readLine;

        while(((readLine = br.readLine()) != null)) {

          response.append(readLine);

        }

Information about the system:

OS is MacOS Mavericks,

SOLR version : 4.6.1 , SOLR runs on a single server, no replication at all.

Tomcat verision: 7.0.50

OODT version is 0.6

Re: UPDATE-PROBABLY SOLVED: File manager keeps connections to SOLR in CLOSE_WAIT state for hours

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hey Konstantinos can you sign up for a JIRA account?
Then I can grant you permissions to add/update/edit issues.

------------------------
Chris Mattmann
chris.mattmann@gmail.com

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OODT-719
I'll ad Kos ASAP.
Thanks
Lewis

--
*Lewis*

Re: UPDATE-PROBABLY SOLVED: File manager keeps connections to SOLR in CLOSE_WAIT state for hours

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Konstantinos Mavrommatis <km...@celgene.com>.

Posted by "Ramirez, Paul M (398J)" <pa...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Konstantinos,

Posted by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com>.
This is fantastic.
Are you able to submit a patch for this?
If not then I will do so.
Thanks again.
Lewis

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 5:22 AM, Konstantinos Mavrommatis <

--
*Lewis*