Posted to user@hive.apache.org by David Koch <og...@googlemail.com> on 2012/12/10 01:06:05 UTC

Drop an HBase backed table

Hello,

How can I drop a Hive table which was created using "CREATE EXTERNAL
TABLE..."? I tried "DROP TABLE <table_name>;" but the shell hangs. The
underlying HBase table should not be deleted. I am using Hive 0.9

Thank you,

/David

Re: Drop an HBase backed table

Posted by "kulkarni.swarnim@gmail.com" <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hi David,

DROP TABLE <table> is the right command to drop a table. You can look at
the hive logs under "/tmp/<user>/hive.log" to see why your shell is
hanging. With dropping an EXTERNAL TABLE, you are guaranteed that the
underlying hbase table won't be touched.

--
Swarnim