Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by jan i <ja...@apache.org> on 2014/06/11 08:21:15 UTC

Apachecon EU, and a possible AOO event.

Hi.

We have been offered a possibility to have a AOO event just after ApacheCon
EU.

ApacheCon EU is monday-wednesday, so the AOO event can be thursday and
friday, in parallel with a cloudstack event.

There are costs asociated with the offering, how to handle that is being
discussed by the PMC, either we find a sponsor and can make the event next
to free of charge, or we have to charge a fee and look for the more
professional users (goverments etc).

I think its a great opertunity to show that AOO is still a very active
project, and show what we do for other projects. I also believe its a great
opertunity for developers, QA, documenters to meet with real life users and
visa versa.

My aim with such an event, would just be the event itself, and the
marketing that follows. It can be a major kick to our project.

But in order for this to be a reality, the community needs to be behind the
idea, and we need a couple of people to stand up, and help get it organized.

Therefore my simple questions:
- Is this something the community at large wants to pursue ?
- Any volunteers to help ?

Looking forward to hear responses.
rgds
jan I.

Re: Apachecon EU, and a possible AOO event.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 11 June 2014 09:51, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/06/14 08:21, jan i wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > We have been offered a possibility to have a AOO event just after
> ApacheCon
> > EU.
> >
> > ApacheCon EU is monday-wednesday, so the AOO event can be thursday and
> > friday, in parallel with a cloudstack event.
> >
> > There are costs asociated with the offering, how to handle that is being
> > discussed by the PMC, either we find a sponsor and can make the event
> next
> > to free of charge, or we have to charge a fee and look for the more
> > professional users (goverments etc).
> >
> > I think its a great opertunity to show that AOO is still a very active
> > project, and show what we do for other projects. I also believe its a
> great
> > opertunity for developers, QA, documenters to meet with real life users
> and
> > visa versa.
> >
> > My aim with such an event, would just be the event itself, and the
> > marketing that follows. It can be a major kick to our project.
> >
> > But in order for this to be a reality, the community needs to be behind
> the
> > idea, and we need a couple of people to stand up, and help get it
> organized.
> >
> > Therefore my simple questions:
> > - Is this something the community at large wants to pursue ?
> > - Any volunteers to help ?
> >

> I am skeptical that we can manage it in time (specially the sponsoring
> part). The CFP for the normal ApacheCon ends June 25th and we can have
> potentially a AOO related track during the main conference, I don't
> know. But we should not miss this deadline.

No for sure that deadline is important, but there are NO in submitting
talks.

Please submit all the talks you want, when we arrange the talks there will
be either a small AOO track + event, or a (hopefully) big AOO track.

> I personally will focus on development and release tasks only in the
> following month and will not have too much time to help. But I would of
> course try to support such an event with a potential talk, a workshop or
> whatever.

The more talks/workshops we get the better. There should be plenty of
topics to talk about.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 18 June 2014 08:57, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 11/06/2014 jan i wrote:
>
>> We have been offered a possibility to have a AOO event just after
>> ApacheCon
>> EU. ... I think its a great opertunity
>>

> Totally agree, and I would be very happy to see it.
>

>  Therefore my simple questions:
>> - Is this something the community at large wants to pursue ?
>> - Any volunteers to help ?
>>

> I'm prepared to help to make it happen, but I hope others will join. Jan,
> what tasks do you anticipate? We don't need an "on the field" presence in
> Budapest since we can rely on the ApacheCon organizers ("producers") for
> it. So it's mainly a matter of remote coordination and content selection?

it is wise also to have presence ourself, LF takes care of registration,
banners etc, but we can better e.g. guide people to the right talks.

Is is however no problem, since of course all speakers will be present, and
I will too.

I see the following (but I surely miss many tasks):
- content and more content :-)
- Layout for banners (AOO logo, name etc) to be sent to LF.
- produce a small folder (A4 folded) about AOO/ASF and how to donate/help
- maybe produce AOO stickers (I recommend it).
- find a keynote speaker to kick it off (or maybe 2, 1 user and 1 from the
project)
- organize the talks into a logical sequence
- press contact (sally will surely help here)
- most importantly, spread the word

most of the tasks are simple, but in total its too much for one person to
do.

I will be happy to coordinate and be anchor-man if wanted.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.