Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jano <al...@mosteo.com> on 2004/07/09 10:36:16 UTC

Migrating repository win32 --> linux

Hi,

I'm in need of do such a migration. At first I was going to do a bulk
copy of the repository and then use svn switch --relocate in the working
copies, but I don't know if that could mess some internal thing.

Reading through the docs, I see the svnadmin dump/load options. The
examples talk about version migrations, so I wonder: is this the way to
go for my needs? I'll try nonetheless but I'll be grateful if you can
confirm/point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Alex.

Re: Migrating repository win32 --> linux

Posted by Jano <al...@mosteo.com>.
Jano wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>
>> You can move repositories between OSes providing the source and
>> destination machines have the same byte order (i.e.
>> big-endian/little-endian). But you need to "svnadmin recover" the
>> repository on the new machine to rewrite the Berkeley DB shared memory
>> backing files to be compatible with the new OS.
>

> Uuups, I've tried that but the "svnadmin recover" fails and suggest to
> do a recover %-)
>
> I'm waiting for a big dump FTP transfer, hope to be luckier this time.

The import worked flawlessly.

Thanks!

Re: Migrating repository win32 --> linux

Posted by Jano <al...@mosteo.com>.

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Jano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm in need of do such a migration. At first I was going to do a bulk
> copy of the repository and then use svn switch --relocate in the working
> copies, but I don't know if that could mess some internal thing.
>
> Reading through the docs, I see the svnadmin dump/load options. The
> examples talk about version migrations, so I wonder: is this the way to
> go for my needs? I'll try nonetheless but I'll be grateful if you can
> confirm/point me in the right direction.

Dump/load would work, but, unless you are running linux on some unusual processer (by which I mean non-x86), there is a faster way:

You can move repositories between OSes providing the source and destination machines have the same byte order (i.e.
big-endian/little-endian). But you need to "svnadmin recover" the repository on the new machine to rewrite the Berkeley DB shared
memory backing files to be compatible with the new OS.

Max.