Posted to users@solr.apache.org by "Yennam, M" <M....@nttdata.com> on 2022/06/08 19:35:15 UTC

Solr compatibility with Oracle Database 19c Database

Hi ,

We are currently using Solr 4.9.0 which is connecting Oracle 12cR1 and we are planning to upgrade our Database to Oracle 19c. So, the question that I have is - Is SOLR 4.9.0 compatible with Oracle 19c, if not what is the minimum version of SOLR that supports Oracle 19c database.

Appreciate if someone can help me answer this question.

Thanks & Regards,
Mahesh Yennam | Systems Integration Advisor
m.yennam@nttdata.com<ma...@nttdata.com> | m. +1.602.903.9656 | nttdataservices.com<http://www.nttdataservices.com/> | @nttdataservices<https://twitter.com/NTTDATAServices>
NTT DATA Information Processing Services Private Limited
Consulting | Industry Solutions | Digital | Application & Infrastructure Services | Cloud | BPO
Learn more:
[cid:image001.jpg@01D87B33.A7AC11D0]<https://www.nttdataservices.com/>
[cid:image002.jpg@01D87B33.A7AC11D0]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/2494361>
[cid:image003.jpg@01D87B33.A7AC11D0]<https://twitter.com/NTTDATAInc>
[cid:image004.jpg@01D87B33.A7AC11D0]<https://www.facebook.com/NTTDATAAmericas>
[cid:image005.jpg@01D87B33.A7AC11D0]<https://www.youtube.com/NTTDATAInc>

Disclaimer: This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding.

Re: Solr compatibility with Oracle Database 19c Database

Posted by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com>.
> some folks who care enough to contribute fixes to it. Using another tool or
> custom code to query the database and submit updates via the solr JSON api
> or SolrJ client is currently recommended over DIH.

That’s why I had to write a tool to do the exporting from Oracle, massaging into JSON, and posting to Solr, before we migrated from Solr 4 to Solr 8 like OP is looking for.

The big benefit of this is that it allowed me to have multiple importers running at once.  A full reindex went from taking 8 hours via the DIH to taking about 90 minutes with 10 importers running.

It also means that we don’t have to worry about the DIH connection as we migrate from Oracle 12 to Oracle 19, as OP is.  OP seems to be in the same situation I was in a year ago.

Andy

Re: Solr compatibility with Oracle Database 19c Database

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.
Also note that use of Data Import Handler (DIH) is not supported by the
Solr community anymore. DIH has become a separate project (
https://github.com/rohitbemax/dataimporthandler) and seems to be in need of

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)

Re: Solr compatibility with Oracle Database 19c Database

Posted by dmitri maziuk <dm...@gmail.com>.
On 2022-06-08 3:01 PM, Andy Lester wrote:

>> On Jun 8, 2022, at 2:35 PM, Yennam, M <M....@nttdata.com> wrote:
>>
>> We are currently using Solr 4.9.0 which is connecting Oracle 12cR1 and we are planning to upgrade our Database to Oracle 19c. So, the question that I have is – Is SOLR 4.9.0 compatible with Oracle 19c, if not what is the minimum version of SOLR that supports Oracle 19c database.
>
> How are you getting data from Oracle into Solr? Are you using the DataImportHandler? If you’re not using the DIH, then I don’t think you’re connecting to Oracle directly, and then it’s a non-issue.

I expect DIH just talks to oracle jdbc jar and if there are any
incompatibilities, they would be solved by updating that jar. It's just
a guess though.

Dima

Re: Solr compatibility with Oracle Database 19c Database

Posted by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com>.