Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2018/09/02 16:36:52 UTC

Graduation Resolutions Should Not Include Project Bylaws Clause

Hi -

Pulsar is currently discussing a graduation proposal and Taylor noticed the following that came out of the whimsy boilerplate.

> Quick question:
>
>> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Pulsar PMC be and hereby is tasked
>> with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
>> development and increased participation in the Apache Pulsar Project;
>> and be it further
>
> Does the Pulsar PPMC feel the need to adopt bylaws (it’s not required), or are the Apache defaults acceptable?
>
> One option is to simply not have bylaws, which means you would simply adhere to [1] and [2], and put any clarifications in a contributors’ guide (which you’ve done).
>
> -Taylor
>
> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html <http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html>
> [2] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html <http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html>
I think that this clause needs to be removed from the template.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Graduation Resolutions Should Not Include Project Bylaws Clause

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
John,

The clause as written right now doesn't speak to the ASF level bylaws.
It gives the PMC the specific tasking to create bylaws.  If not
removed the language should probably change to not encourage creation
of new bylaws but rather understand the implicit adoption of the ASF
level bylaws.

Thanks

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 2, 2018, at 3:29 PM, P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Aren’t the foundation-level bylaws about how the ASF operates as a non-profit business?
>
> I may be missing something, but ASF bylaws don’t address project management, ASF policy does.

The trouble is that projects are copying bylaws from each other which do not conform to ASF policy.

In particular they are copying the project “killing” 6 month inactivity means automatic PMC emeritus measure when there is no such thing at the foundation level.

From the IPMC and board side we expect that new projects have learned the Apache Way before they graduate and then we task them
With making it up after the fact.

I agree with Greg that the Board should make the call, but I do think the IPMC should make a recommendation. I do not think that projects should have to opt out of making bylaws. I think that they should make policies including voting policies that fit the “minimal” Apache policies.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Oh dear, it looks like HTTP [1] isn’t in compliance either.

"Membership can be revoked by a unanimous vote of all the active PMC members other than the member in question.”

And this is probably where the 6 months term come from, that pops up everywhere re inactive PMC members.

"A PMC member is considered inactive by their own declaration or by not contributing in any form to the project for over six months. An inactive member can become active again by reversing whichever condition made them inactive.”

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html

Re: Graduation Resolutions Should Not Include Project Bylaws Clause

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 03/09/18 05:53, P. Taylor Goetz wrote:

>> On Sep 3, 2018, at 12:10 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I'd prefer that the concept of project bylaws disappear. Move
>> to "community guides". A *guide* rather than a *ruleset*. The Board has
>> kinda gone quiet on the discussion, but hopefully it will pick it back up,
>> to provide some guidance here.
>
> ++1
>
> All projects need is sane (in ASF terms) developer guidelines.

Exactly.

Repeating some points I made on board@

There is a lot of good content in project bylaws.

Some project bylaws duplicate content that exists at the foundation
level. I think that sort of duplication is unhelpful as, over
time, the duplicates tend to diverge.

I would prefer to see the project level content as community guidelines.
Codifying them as bylaws makes them harder to change and reduces
flexibility.

For example, some project level bylaws appear require a 72 hour voting
period for a release. That might not be in the best interest of the
project if a security release needs to be made in a hurry. I have seen
release votes that have lasted just a few hours when a security fix
needed to be made quickly.

A further issue is that if a security release is made with a voting
period of less than 72 hours is that still an act of the foundation if
it violates the project's bylaws? I don't know the answer to that
question and I don't think it is a good use of anyone's time figuring it
out.

Similarly, I can think a several situations where I've used CTR on an
RTC branch because - in my judgement - doing so was in the best
interests of the project. (And as it happens none of the committers at
the time disagreed.)

It is my view that codifying a PMC's standard way of operating in bylaws
can limit the PMC's options when dealing with non-standard situations. I
think it is better for the PMC to retain the flexibility to use if they
need to.

Mark

Re: Graduation Resolutions Should Not Include Project Bylaws Clause

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Yet conceptually, those are the "default project bylaws" should a PMC not
> decide to write up something else.

Yep and that’s why while podling sometime gets little lost or just copy and paste others thinking they are correct.

The same happens with LICENSE/NOTICE files so we probably shouldn’t be surprised by this. :-)

> We'll get there.
>
> Personally, I'd prefer that the concept of project bylaws disappear. Move
> to "community guides". A *guide* rather than a *ruleset*.

I’m fine with calling them guidelines, but the board would need to agree to the word change in the TLP document.

I can find (or put together) a set of bylaws/guideline that I think follows all ASF policy and we can put it up (as draft) for the board to look at and other IPMC members to review, and perhaps ask them to accept it as the default set?

Do people think that’s a good way forward?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Graduation Resolutions Should Not Include Project Bylaws Clause

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
hehe.. and I agree with both of you :-)

But when the concept of "foundation-level project bylaws" came up, that is
where they are. Not labeled as such, not explained well, etc. Agreed. Yet
conceptually, those are the "default project bylaws" should a PMC not
decide to write up something else.

We'll get there.

Personally, I'd prefer that the concept of project bylaws disappear. Move
to "community guides". A *guide* rather than a *ruleset*. The Board has
kinda gone quiet on the discussion, but hopefully it will pick it back up,
to provide some guidance here.

Cheers,
-g

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Greg,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 5:30 PM P. Taylor Goetz <pt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Aren’t the foundation-level bylaws about how the ASF operates as a
> non-profit business?

There are two types of "bylaws" at the Foundation level. The official ones
you're referring to, and the project ones under dev/ (the "how it works"
stuff).

In any case, the Board needs to provide guidance. The IPMC probably
shouldn't just make up some new project-creation resolution wording.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Graduation Resolutions Should Not Include Project Bylaws Clause

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
-private list for now.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.