Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Josias Rico García <jo...@wizeline.com> on 2021/03/24 21:23:30 UTC

BEAM-9185 Publish pre-release python artifacts (RCs) to PyPI

Hello devs

Me and @Benjamin Gonzalez Delgado <be...@wizeline.com> have
been working on the solution of Jira Issue BEAM-9185
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9185>, and we’ve done the
following:

Background:

When executing choose_rc_commit.sh, a commit tag is created, and the
automated Github actions “build_wheels” detect the name of the tag that
contains the *rc* version and generates both RC and non-RC artifacts.
Release Manager can execute build_release_candidate.sh as usual.

Modification:

At the end of stage 7. Build a release candidate:

   1.

    Added step Upload release candidate to PyPI to execute
   deploy_release_candidate_pypi.sh which:
   1.

      Downloads source distribution and wheels tagged as *rc*.
      2.

      Deploys release candidate to PyPI
      1.

         These artifacts will be uploaded to PyPI as a pre-release.
         2.

         A link will be added as part of the voting.
         2.

   Updated *Release Guide*.

Important Notes:

   -

    According to the Publishing pre-release artifacts to repositories
   <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/f071f8ab9f115636b9e6a6cabcfccbe2bb980d4394fe5581c59a4db6%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E>
   discussion thread, this snapshot is not targeted to users.
   -

   The voting process will remain the same: over the binaries in svn and not
   RC.
   -

   Use the RC binaries in PyPi as needed: download them with pip install
   --pre.
   -

   It is not necessary to rebuild after the voting.

Please let us know any comments or doubts. You can find the PR with the
complete changes here: https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/14325.

We are pleased to hear from you.

--

Josias Misael Rico Garcia | WIZELINE

Technical Writer

josias.rico@wizeline.com

Follow us Twitter <https://twitter.com/wizelineglobal> | Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/WizelineGlobal> | Instagram
<https://www.instagram.com/wizelineglobal/> | LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/wizeline>

Share feedback on Clutch <https://clutch.co/review/submit/375119>

--
*This email and its contents (including any attachments) are being sent to
you on the condition of confidentiality and may be protected by legal

Re: BEAM-9185 Publish pre-release python artifacts (RCs) to PyPI

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Caveat here: I am updating the scripts and release process as I work
through 2.29.0. That script is new as of last week.

I would prefer the `choose_rc_commit.sh` script to only choose the commit
and push the RC tag. This way the chosen commit is set regardless of how
many times we might have to try or adjust other steps. I think that
publishing the wheels probably fits better into
`build_release_candidate.sh` since that script reads the tag, builds a
variety of things, and uploads them to various places. I haven't started to
update that script much yet, though. I don't know if there is a reason it
will not work.

Kenn

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.