Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by snowch <sn...@coralms.com> on 2009/07/10 23:52:55 UTC

functional training

Is there any functional training available for ofbiz?

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: functional training

Posted by snowch <sn...@coralms.com>.
By functional, I mean training that is aimed at the non-technical user.

I am ok with developing ofbiz applications from scratch, but now I need to
know how to use more of the ofbiz functionality out-of-the-box.

Reading through the Len Silverston data model books are useful, but only
really describe the data model.

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: functional training

Posted by snowch <sn...@coralms.com>.
One area I'm struggling with is trying to create a party group and adding
parties to the group.  Is there any documentation on this specific area?

Many thanks...

Re: functional training

Posted by snowch <sn...@coralms.com>.
I've realised that I need to use relationships from other posts, and from the
ManagerReferenceParty.pdf.

What is not clear is how?  The UI doesn't have much meaning without some
examples:

New Relationship:

of the Party with ID ___
in the role of  ___
is a  ___
of the current party ___
in the role of ___
And Party Relationship Security ___
>From Calendar ___
Thru Calendar ___
Comments ___

RE: functional training

Posted by SELC Sales Div <se...@bdg.centrin.net.id>.

Yes, I have the same problem till the mentioned book - issued; I was
starting in 2006.
I think million of people do not mind to spend a few dollars to get a new
book or documents
for  a complete step-by-step HOW-TO-all functions of OFBiz with REGULAR
update to save
time consuming - hundreds of hours??

- Charles TJ

Posted by snowch <sn...@coralms.com>.

Re: functional training

Posted by Colin Rooney <co...@openbiz.ie>.
ps. I meant to say - OpenBravo POS was originally TinaPOS which was GPL.
 This explains the different license for it I think

Colin

Re: functional training

Posted by Colin Rooney <co...@openbiz.ie>.
re: openbravo

Re: functional training

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.

Re: functional training

Posted by David E Jones <de...@me.com>.
Interesting... maybe some of the files in the project are Apache
licensed or something...

I based my comments on:

http://www.openbravo.com/legal/license.html
http://www.openbravo.com/legal/product/erp/
http://www.openbravo.com/legal/product/pos/

-David

Re: functional training

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I looked at

Re: functional training

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: functional training

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Chris:
Thanks for taking the time to answer. This will help me plan next steps.
As regards your original question: the short answer is 4-6 months. If
you are interested, here are some comments regarding that estimate:

    On the surface, this appears to be a very well produced and packaged
    product. Similar production quality work on my part could add (or
    subtract if I didn't do it) weeks from the estimate. For example,
    finding an online course development & delivery tool (such as Adobe
    Captivate) that works for me and my delivery objectives would take
    some time. I could develop the content outline and labs/exercises in
    approximately 2-3 months, but then I would need almost as much time
    to figure out how to get it online.

    The content of this course appears to be focused on MRP
    implementations - specifically on the materials planning and
    manufacturing features and functions of OpenBravo. My experience
    (and current focus) is on the ecommerce aspects of OFBiz.
    Specifically I have been concentrating on end-user features and
    functions of the Catalog Manager - that being the end-user
    application providing most of the ecommerce related management
    capabilities. I believe, and I could be wrong here, most OFBiz
    implementations are ecommerce first and manufacturing/MRP later.
    That being said, it makes more sense to me (being a one person show)
    to concentrate on ecommerce and then segue to other OFBiz ERP
    features as time permits. Given I'd be starting from scratch for
    this effort, I believe 2-3 months for an outline and content
    including labs is a reasonable estimate. [That assumes existence of
    equivalent end-user capabilities within OFBiz.]

    Most importantly for me: I don't see any mention in the course guide
    of features & functions related to product management which is a
    huge part of what the Catalog Manager is all about. The idea that
    you can have a separate business unit - Marketing say - be
    responsible for products and getting products to market by using the
    Catalog Manager and not need the IT staff to build new catalogs,
    products or product dependency rules is a huge selling point for
    OFBiz! You would not believe how many large companies I've worked
    with where the developers/programmers actually hard code product
    features and dependencies into the application. It boggles the mind.

So, there you have it. As I said before, I hope the lack of training
resources does not deter you from further using OFBiz. My experience has
been that the learning curve is worth the effort. Your mileage may vary,
but I haven't found anything else with nearly as much potential.

Regards,
Ruth
PS - Yes, I agree, David's videos would be a great complement to
Jonathon's book. Unfortunately, when I was using the videos, Jonathon's
book wasn't even a glimmer in Packt Publishing's eyes.  :-)

Re: functional training

Posted by snowch <sn...@coralms.com>.

Re: functional training

Posted by snowch <sn...@coralms.com>.

Re: functional training

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hi Chris:

Re: functional training

Posted by snowch <sn...@coralms.com>.
Hi Ruth,

Re: functional training

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hello Chris:

Re: functional training

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: functional training

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: functional training

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: functional training

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
End user Docs

Re: functional training

Posted by su2 <sh...@pexsupply.com>.
Right now I am learning OFBiz, but knowing nothing about basics of OFbiz,
simplest application takes hours/days (for some my forum questions might be
very basic but I am still learning).

I think million of people will be helped by this effort.

People also don't mind to spend a few dollars to get a new book or documents
for a complete step-by-step HOW-TO GUIDE for OFBiz.

This will save lot of hours of lot of people. Also OFBiz user who are
holding themselves just because of lack of Help documentation can get on
OFBiz making it more popular and widely used.

Re: functional training

Posted by snowch <sn...@coralms.com>.
I look forward to Ruth Hoffman's response!