Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rajath Shashidhara <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/23 07:42:05 UTC

GSoC 2013 application form

Hello,

Please review my application and suggest me some
modifications/additions/deletions.

--
Rajath S,
M.Sc(Hons.) Physics,

Re: GSoC 2013 application form

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 4/24/13, Rajath Shashidhara <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please review my application and help me complete timeline in my
> application.

Some notes, database format is odb not odf.

There is already a Gdrive extension, should check it out:
http://code.google.com/p/ooo2gd/

OpenOffice also supports somewhat querky use of importing spreadsheet
as datasources. I am interested into learning the user case for this
wizard.

Regards.

--
Alexandro Colorado
Apache OpenOffice Contributor

Re: GSoC 2013 application form

Posted by Rajath Shashidhara <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajath Shashidhara <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hello Ariel,
Can I try to get a mentor for my self on the API mailing list?
I'm currently having examinations. These exams are very important because
my engineering major will be alloted based on my score in these exams.
It'll be difficult for me to look for an other topic and write an
application. Nevertheless, I'll try looking up the other topic and making
an application.

It would be a great help if someone suggested an alternative.

Rajath S
I year
M.Sc(Hons.) Physics
BITS pilani

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 2:42 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 01/05/2013 Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>
>>> We still need one technical mentor able to provide timely advice on the
>>> real code and taking responsibility for it ...
>>>
>>> we can offer our students higher expectations of a successful completion
>>> in
>>> that case.
>>>
>> I am not sure thats a requirement.
>>

> Successful completion is an important indicator for the GSoC program and
> this project has the duty to provide adequate assistance. A GSoC proposal
> not backed by a technical mentor has lower chances to succeed and it is
> normal that we privilege proposals that the project developers have
> interest in following.
>
>  applications and available slots
>>> are not so bad (and actually there isn't a decrease for OpenOffice)...
>>>
>> How do you know if there is or not a decrease? Last time OpenOffice was on
>> GSOC was in 2005.
>>

> Indeed. There can't be any decrease as we haven't had any GSoC project
> since the project moved to Apache. Previous GSoC experiences are not
> comparable due to the radical context change since 2005.

What is this year total number of aplicants for AOO related projects?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Alexandro Colorado wrote:
>
>> From my conversations with other mentors of projects, the degree of
>> coding expertise is relative, as much of the help needed is to get
>> around the information that resides on the documentation and such.
>>

> We still need one technical mentor able to provide timely advice on the
> real code and taking responsibility for it, since GSoC has fixed deadlines.
> It is clear from the current discussions that in this respect we are
> better-equipped for the "CMIS UCP" project than for "Extension wizard to
> import table to database". So I'd favor applications for "CMIS UCP" since
> we can offer our students higher expectations of a successful completion in
> that case.

I am not sure thats a requirement.

>  This might not be up to AOO alone, a lot of people have experienced
>> 50% - 70% reduction in proposals from last year.
>>

> In general, for Apache projects the pattern is that the bottleneck is in
> the number of available technical mentors: applications and available slots
> are not so bad (and actually there isn't a decrease for OpenOffice), but
> finding the right mentors is problematic across all the ASF projects.

How do you know if there is or not a decrease? Last time OpenOffice was on
GSOC was in 2005. And there was around 5 successful projects and 2 failed
projects.

Right now we only have around 3 proposals.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> From my conversations with other mentors of projects, the degree of
> coding expertise is relative, as much of the help needed is to get
> around the information that resides on the documentation and such.

We still need one technical mentor able to provide timely advice on the
real code and taking responsibility for it, since GSoC has fixed
deadlines. It is clear from the current discussions that in this respect
we are better-equipped for the "CMIS UCP" project than for "Extension
wizard to import table to database". So I'd favor applications for "CMIS
UCP" since we can offer our students higher expectations of a successful
completion in that case.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.
On 4/26/13, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 25/04/2013 janI wrote:
>> I find your document quite good (a
>> little light on details), and I look forward to help you (among others)
>> with a projects that will benefit many end-users.
>
> It's time to discuss this a bit. The project as a whole is clearly going
> to give the best possible support to Rajath and other GSoC applicants,
> but we need a technical mentor for each project, i.e., someone who can
> help with the actual programming, evaluate/integrate code, suggest how
> to improve it according to the project's best practices and so on.
>
> If I understood correctly Alexandro posted the idea as a "promoter", but
> he won't be the "technical mentor" we need to identify (or are you going
> to take care of this, Alexandro? I just note you are not a regular code
> contributor in that area -neither I am, of course- but I may be wrong
> about your intentions). So, even though everybody on the list can help,
> who is available to act as the main technical mentor for Rajath and take
> responsibility for evaluating the outcome if the application gets accepted?

>From my conversations with other mentors of projects, the degree of
coding expertise is relative, as much of the help needed is to get
around the information that resides on the documentation and such.
Even if I have commit rights, most of the final projects end up on
bugzilla as a patch, and is up to the team to accept it, reject until
adjustment or reject it permanently.

I also hope that most of the mentors are more active on
#dev.openoffice.org to increase the feedback flow on technical
matters.

As far as this project goes, most of the coding will need to be
external, almost like an extension. I would need to research this
project a bit more, but the reality is that we havent really make a
good job promoting the GSOC project and even if we experience a good
uptake the first weeks, it quickly died down.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 25 April 2013 19:34, Rajath Shashidhara <ra...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> JanI - Thanks for your valuable suggestions.
>
> My Modified timeline -
>
> Deliverables:
>
> Well Commented Source Code for an extension in Java under the Apache
> License 2.0
>
>  Approximate Schedule of my project:
>
> 1st Week:
>
> Designing the wizard +

> Making the GUI for the import wizard.
>

> This component sent for review by the end of the week.(Expected review by
> mid-2nd
>
> week).
>
> 2nd Week:
>
> Code which implements import of .dbf files – Straight forward as .dbf is
> not a loose database format. Things like primary key, column names etc.
> Have already been defined. - sent for review.
>
>  Changes to GUI made – after review received.
>
> Documentation for completed modules.
>

>  .dbf import module sent for review.
>
> 3rd Week:

Design +

> Module to decide the coulmn names and datatypes for columns(loose
> spreadsheets type). - Sent for review.
>
> .dbf file import review – changes made(1 day).
>
> 4th Week:
>
> Changed components sent for re-review.
>
> Documentation for above components.
>
> Changes made for column name module after review.
>
> Module to strip of the charts/graphics in the document.
>
> Above codes linked with GUI for (.ods,.dbf).
>
> Above components sent for review.
>
>  5th Week:
>
> Midterm Deliverables – Well Commented Source Code for an extension in Java
> under which can import .ods and .dbf files.
>
> Above modules extended for .xls/.xlsx,.sxc(fixing the compatibility
> issues).
>
> Completed modules sent for review.
>
> 6th Week:
>
> (Buffer Space) – To complete thing which didn't workout according to the
> plan.
>
> Extension integrated to import .xls/.xlsx,.sxc,.dbf.
>
> 7th Week:
>
> Review of integrated extension.
>
> Google Spreadsheet import module. [1]
>
> 8th Week:
>
> [1] continued.
>
> [1] sent for review.
>
> [1] integrated with above extension.
>
> 9th Week:
>
> Final review of all the modules.
>
> Debugging Started.
>
> 10th Week:
>
> Final Documentation.
>
> (Buffer Space)
>
> (GsoC Done!!!)
>

>  After 10th Week -
>
> Finishing the optional components in 1-2 weeks and patching it up with the
> previously produced extension.
>
> Documentation for optional modules.
>

> Any Comments ?

2 minor changes...otherwise it look good to me.

good luck.
rgds
Jan I.

Posted by Rajath Shashidhara <ra...@gmail.com>.