Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2013/08/06 16:30:16 UTC

Fwd: [Contact] Media question

The ASF was asked to comment on the move of the project to the Attic.
The below is what was sent.

Begin forwarded message:

Re: [Contact] Media question

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Aug 6, 2013, at 11:50 AM, C. Bergström <cb...@pathscale.com> wrote:

> The Apache way didn't work for this project and instead of trying to think outside the box... Some passionate people (primarily you?) decided it was better to close it.

If the Apache way didn't work for this project then the *only*
option was to stop it from (trying to be) an Apache project.
That happens. Some projects just aren't suited to be under
the Apache umbrella, for a variety of reasons, and that's OK.
The great thing about open source, and especially the ALv2,
is that even though the project didn't work an as Apache project,
there is nothing preventing anyone from taking the code and
forking it someplace where it could work (possibly).

Since you feel so passionately about it, I look forward to seeing
your fork of it and the community and project you will build around
it.

And no, I didn't want my name in the press so much. The ASF
was sought out; we didn't seek out the press. When the request
came in, I was the logical choice to respond and Sally forwarded
the request to me.

You seem to be interested in spinning a story of behind the
scenes drama and intrigue regarding all this. There is none.
The truth is sometimes just boring...

Re: Fwd: [Contact] Media question

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@pathscale.com>.
On 08/ 6/13 09:30 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> The ASF was asked to comment on the move of the project to the Attic.
> The below is what was sent.

Wtf Jim. Are you trying to be a troll now? If you wanted your name in
the press so badly let them publish it. Why are you even putting my name
on this. I'm interested in open source, not open bullshit. I declined
media comments and let this go. Please revise your statement to leave me
out of it. (In fact I referred people to comment who would be much more
likely to have something positive to say)

The Apache way didn't work for this project and instead of trying to
think outside the box... Some passionate people (primarily you?) decided
it was better to close it. (It's no secret you've wanted to do this for
a long time and why you intentionally pissed off the previous PMC.)
While STDCXX at Apache has no future it's still maintained by multiple
corporations. (Who are at least willing to discuss collaborating.)

Will you hide behind private board meetings or can some redacted ‎
version of the minutes be released? /* I don't personally care, but
maybe the press (Serdar) is interested */