Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nicole Davis <ni...@tendenci.com> on 2022/08/19 14:15:32 UTC

Kinect LLC, dba Tendenci as a Podling in the Apache Incubation Program

Good morning,

My name is Nicole Davis, and I am writing to you as the head of a newly
formed organization, Kinect LLC, designed to take the lead on the Tendenci
Open Source AMS Software Project <https://github.com/tendenci/tendenci> and
expand our presence again in the digital world. Founder Ed Schipul as of
late 2021 has been planning his exit strategy, and given the organization's
bootstrapped funding, I think both Apache and the project could largely
benefit from being in an incubator program as notable as Apache's.

*A little history about the company:*
Ed Schipul actually founded Schipul the Web Marketing Company in 1997, but
after listening to the needs of many of his local and global clients in the
nonprofit and association sectors, he pivoted and turned his company into a
more niche software - this is when it became known as Tendenci.

In the early 2000s, Tendenci was taken open source for contribution from
open source developers, and Ed schipul chose to follow the "benevolent
dictator" path of reviewing and approving all code commits/pull requests
internally before they are added to core. Tendenci also has a small core
team with a lead software engineer, developers and a lead designer.

Tendenci Open Source AMS is an association management software that is
flexible and scalable to the extent that it can provide for small startups
(typically using the open source code) and large enterprises with complex
and unique needs. Written on a *python, django postgreSQL framework*, it
has well withstood the test of time and ever changing tech, and it is used
by hundreds of organizations, both hosted and non-hosted (by us). However,
we are looking to provide more for our open source community and clients
given the shift in remote work and education.

*Recent updates in the code:*
Since 2021 under my leadership we have launched a very successful Chapters
and Chapter Memberships (in beta) module, so associations have
cost-effective measures to manage chapters under their organization, yet
allow chapter leaders a measure of autonomy to manage their memberships. It
has proven to be a huge success for a client who manages 200+ chapters.

*Future plans:*
We now look to online education and training, so we can provide for those
organizations who have seen a large shift in their membership base to
remote work and study. Our plan is to create a system that can be somewhat
self-contained within the software, yet also integrate with an LMS or MOOC
for ease of use.

Tendenci, having been around since the early 2000s, is a robust, mature
software, but also has SO much potential for becoming an even greater asset
to the nonprofit and association sectors if it is backed by something other
than bootstrapped funds. Our mission to "Connect and organize the
world's people. Do good" seems to be very well aligned with the types of
projects Apache looks for. I would love to know if this is a project Apache
envisions being part of the Apache Foundation.

For more information, I am available at this email address or by phone:
(281) 497-6567 (office)
(832) 618-3645 (mobile)

Kind regards,
Nicole Davis, Team Tendenci
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicole-davis-vise/>
(281) 497-6567

Re: Kinect LLC, dba Tendenci as a Podling in the Apache Incubation Program

Posted by ju...@classsoftware.com.
HI,

> Thank you for your interest and kind words! It has come to my attention that our current open source licensing doesn't quite meet the Apache way, so I've taken this information back to my current team to review. What are your thoughts on how teams normally proceed at this juncture?

Having the code licensed as GPL would  be an issue for an ASF project. You could (with your committers permission) change the license to a more permissive one compatible with the Apache license. You would need to think about the community and legal implications of that.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: Kinect LLC, dba Tendenci as a Podling in the Apache Incubation Program

Posted by Nicole Davis <ni...@tendenci.com>.
Hi Justin,

Thank you for your interest and kind words! It has come to my attention
that our current open source licensing doesn't quite meet the Apache way,
so I've taken this information back to my current team to review. What are
your thoughts on how teams normally proceed at this juncture?

I'm very excited about the educational projects we're currently working on
- they are still in strategizing phase so there's no code to review just
yet, but our plan is to create a learning module that will track credits,
and contain hooks for LMS/MOOC integration, with some small pieces that may
stand alone (we don't intend to completely create a robust LMS, there are
plenty of great open source options here!).

Best,
Nicole, Team Tendenci

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Wei-Chiu Chuang <we...@apache.org>.
Hi

please follow the guidelines to propose a incubating project:
https://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html

You can find example proposals in ASF mail archive, such as this one:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/ns5n6ozl1mdvdbhmkfol67lt163m74v3
Past proposal are archived at the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/StreamPark+Proposal

A few things to note:

The said project is GPLv3 licensed. Apache Incubator won't be able to
accept GPL project as-is. This includes its dependencies.
"benevolent dictator" model is not recommended in the Apache world.
https://www.apache.org/theapacheway/