Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name> on 2009/10/23 00:42:35 UTC

Re: svn commit: r40193 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs

Blair Zajac wrote on Thu, 22 Oct 2009 at 12:36 -0700:
> In keeping with convention in our other Subversion auto-generated
> configuration files that a commented out option is the default
> compiled into the code, so when creating the fsfs.conf file print
>
> # enable-rep-sharing = true
>
> to show that by default representation sharing is enabled.

If that's our convention, then the first two samples I picked from
~/.subversion/config do not follow it either:

    ### Set no-unlock to prevent 'svn commit' from automatically
    ### releasing locks on files.
    # no-unlock = yes
    ### Set interactive-conflicts to 'no' to disable interactive
    ### conflict resolution prompting.  It defaults to 'yes'.
    # interactive-conflicts = no

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2410478

Re: svn commit: r40193 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 18:05 -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:
> Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> > Blair Zajac wrote on Thu, 22 Oct 2009 at 12:36 -0700:
> >> In keeping with convention in our other Subversion auto-generated
> >> configuration files that a commented out option is the default
> >> compiled into the code, so when creating the fsfs.conf file print
> >>
> >> # enable-rep-sharing = true
> >>
> >> to show that by default representation sharing is enabled.
> >
> > If that's our convention, then the first two samples I picked from
> > ~/.subversion/config do not follow it either:
> >
> >     ### Set no-unlock to prevent 'svn commit' from automatically
> >     ### releasing locks on files.
> >     # no-unlock = yes
> >     ### Set interactive-conflicts to 'no' to disable interactive
> >     ### conflict resolution prompting.  It defaults to 'yes'.
> >     # interactive-conflicts = no
>
> OK.  I assumed it was a convention, in that our global ignore list is written
> out in the same file.  At least the second one says what the default is.

I thought the convention was the opposite: show an example that can be
uncommented to make a difference. The entry right above the one you
changed is like that:

"[" CONFIG_SECTION_CACHES "]"
"### When a cache-related error occurs, normally Subversion ignores it"
"### and continues, logging an error if the server is appropriately"
"### configured (and ignoring it with file:// access).  To make"
"### Subversion never ignore cache errors, uncomment this line."
"# " CONFIG_OPTION_FAIL_STOP " = true"
""
"[" CONFIG_SECTION_REP_SHARING "]"
"### To conserve space, the filesystem can optionally avoid storing"
"### duplicate representations.  This comes at a slight cost in"
"### performance, as maintaining a database of shared representations can"
"### increase commit times.  The space savings are dependent upon the size"
"### of the repository, the number of objects it contains and the amount of"
"### duplication between them, usually a function of the branching and"
"### merging process."
"###"
"### The following parameter enables rep-sharing in the repository.  It can"
"### be switched on and off at will, but for best space-saving results"
"### should be enabled consistently over the life of the repository."
"# " CONFIG_OPTION_ENABLE_REP_SHARING " = true"

It would be best to state the default explicitly.

- Julian

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2410579

Re: svn commit: r40193 - trunk/subversion/libsvn_fs_fs

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> Blair Zajac wrote on Thu, 22 Oct 2009 at 12:36 -0700:
>> In keeping with convention in our other Subversion auto-generated
>> configuration files that a commented out option is the default
>> compiled into the code, so when creating the fsfs.conf file print
>>
>> # enable-rep-sharing = true
>>
>> to show that by default representation sharing is enabled.
>
> If that's our convention, then the first two samples I picked from
> ~/.subversion/config do not follow it either:
>
>     ### Set no-unlock to prevent 'svn commit' from automatically
>     ### releasing locks on files.
>     # no-unlock = yes
>     ### Set interactive-conflicts to 'no' to disable interactive
>     ### conflict resolution prompting.  It defaults to 'yes'.
>     # interactive-conflicts = no

OK.  I assumed it was a convention, in that our global ignore list is written
out in the same file.  At least the second one says what the default is.

Blair

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2410482