Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Jennifer Barnabee <je...@gmail.com> on 2015/09/09 02:22:44 UTC

Dataflow Design Help

Hi All,
I was wondering what mechanisms folks might have used in their dataflows to
handle a sort of return-to-sender type scenario. The idea is that you use
NiFi to receive your data and check it for certain must-haves. Then, for
any data that doesn't have key items, you reject it in an automated way to
tell the sender to fix it and resend it. Say, for example, it's a
registration of some sort for a person, but their email address is missing.

Right now, we are doing this rejection report manually. In addition to
handling our incoming data feeds and splitting them/routing them as needed,
we'd also like to add this checking/rejection automation.

Has anyone dealt with this? Would you be willing to describe how you did it?

Thanks.
-Jenn

Re: Dataflow Design Help

Posted by Jennifer Barnabee <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joe,
Thanks. Yes, this part is all clear. The part that makes it messier is that I think the rejection reports are sent back by email, and that's what the data providers are expecting. We could use PutEmail, but I just didn't know if that was the most graceful way to do this. I'm still learning more about the existing process, though. I think it may vary by data provider. Thanks again!
-Jenn

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 8, 2015, at 8:44 PM, joepercivall@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> Hey Jennifer,
>
> How are you sending back the rejection to the user?
>
> If you're just 'Post'ing to HTTP.  You could use the RouteOnAttribute and PostHTTP standard processors to first verify the email attribute exists. If it doesn't then route that flowfile to the PostHTTP a processor and post a HTTP response back.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Joe
> Sent from my phone
>
>> On Sep 8, 2015, at 8:22 PM, Jennifer Barnabee <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I was wondering what mechanisms folks might have used in their dataflows to handle a sort of return-to-sender type scenario. The idea is that you use NiFi to receive your data and check it for certain must-haves. Then, for any data that doesn't have key items, you reject it in an automated way to tell the sender to fix it and resend it. Say, for example, it's a registration of some sort for a person, but their email address is missing.
>>
>> Right now, we are doing this rejection report manually. In addition to handling our incoming data feeds and splitting them/routing them as needed, we'd also like to add this checking/rejection automation.
>>
>> Has anyone dealt with this? Would you be willing to describe how you did it?
>>
>> Thanks.
>> -Jenn

Re: Dataflow Design Help

Posted by jo...@yahoo.com.