Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Steve Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net> on 2012/07/11 07:00:11 UTC

Board Report - Info

When is the ASF board report for XALAN due?

Here is some information collected for the Apache XALAN project report.

Steven J. Hathaway
Xalan Documentation Project

==============

Status report for the Apache XALAN project -- July, 2012

The Apache Xalan Project is a collaborative software development project
dedicated to providing robust, full-featured, commercial-quality, and
freely available XSLT support on a wide variety of platforms.

There are currently two subprojects under the Apache Xalan Project:
Xalan C++, and Xalan Java, representing C++ and Java implementations of
the W3C XSL Transformations (XSLT) Version 1.0 and the XML Path Language
(XPath) Version 1.0 recommendations.

Project Status
--------------

A new website has been prepared and is ready for publishing using the
infrastructure (svnpubsub) architecture.  This addresses many Apache
branding and website maintenance issues.  This completes a substantial
rework of the Apache Xalan top-level and the underlying C++ and Java
project websites.

Xalan is mentoring a Google GSoC-2012 student from Brazil to develop
additional capability for the C++ libraries.

The current releases are quite old.  As you know, the Xalan project was
ready to be placed into the attic last year.  A new relase of the C++
library is being planned for the end of summer.  A patch release of the
Java library is being planned.

Branding Requirements
---------------------

This is completed by publishing our new website tree.  The code
repositories already conform to branding requirements.

Project Migration
-----------------

The Apache XML project was the parent of the Apache XALAN project. As
you know, XALAN has since became an Apache project with its own project
management.  Our subprojects still have some infrastructure ties to the
old Apache XML project.

Publishing the new website will remove our dependence on the Apache XML
website parent tree.

Publishing a new release for the C++ library and a patch release for the
Java library will remove our dependence on the Apache XML project
mirrors infrastructure.

Community Activity
------------------

The Apache XALAN project is mentoring a student in the Google Summer of
Code 2012.

The C++ library is successfully built using Linux, HPUX, Windows, BSD,
and Solaris.  Packaging efforts are underway to support the newest
releases of the various development tools and platforms.

The Java library sees subversion patches along with tracking numerous
issues with Jira in preparation of a new patch release.

Documentation for both the C++ and Java releases are being integrated
into the new websites for those sub-projects.

We have an active user base that is proposing patches and active
committers to implement the patches.

Builds of the C++ library and XSLT transformation utility are being made
on numerous platforms in preparation of a coming release.  The current
SVN trunk is considered stable and has been the platform of choice for
several years.

A patch release of the Java library and XSLT transformation utilities is
being prepared.  We have started adding the new features into the
documentation.

Developer Mail List Activity
---------------------------
   February 2012  25 messages - fix bugs
   March    2012  76 messages - fix bugs and preparing for GSoC 2012
   April    2012  63 messages - fix bugs and preparing for GSoC 2012
   May      2012  17 messages - mostly infrastructure planning issues
   June     2012  32 messages - two mentors involved with GSoC 2012

Community Objectives
--------------------

Prepare a release of the C++ library by the end of summer.

Plan a patch release of the Java library.

Complete the hosting migration out of the Apache XML project so that the
Apache XALAN project stands on its own.  Publishing the new (svnpubsub)
based website and mirroring new releases for C++ and Java will complete
the hosting migration requirements.

Re: Board Report - Info

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
The next board report is due in August.