Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by I-Lin Kuo <ik...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/21 20:25:41 UTC

showing XHTML from a database

I'm storing xhtml markup within a database.
I'd like to use cocoon to retrieve and
display this markup in the browser.
However, when retrieving from the database,
cocoon escapes all the xml entities <>'"&

so that "<b>be BOLD!</b>"

comes back as "&lt;b&gt;be BOLD!&lt;/b&gt;"

When output to the browser, this "shows"
the XHTML rather than displaying the effect.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Is there a solution, perhaps using a node-set
extension function or disable-output-escaping?

I-Lin Kuo, Ann Arbor, MI
Macromedia Certified ColdFusion 5.0 Advanced Developer
Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer
Ann Arbor Java Users Group (http://www.aajug.org)

Re: showing XHTML from a database

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> Unfortunately it works in current Cocoon versions, but it should not be
> used in general.

A JAXP conformant XSLT processor may generate PIs embedded in the
output to signal a disable-output-escaping="yes" to downstream
processing stages. If the serializer finally gets these PIs and
understands them, d-o-e will work fine even in Cocoon.

However, there's plenty of stuff that can go wrong:
1. The d-o-e'd stuff is still text to downstream XML processing
    stages, it can't be processed as elements.
2. Generating the PIs is not required. Xalan does, I'm not sure
    whether Saxon does.
3. The PIs are not standardized. So you'd better use an identity
    transformation with the same XSLT processor which generates them
    for serialization. Fortunately, Cocoon does exactly this.
    Nevertheless, if you mix processors, you're likely to get trouble.
4. If some processing stage decides to eat or mangle the PIs or to
    change their position relative to the stuff intended to be
    d-o-e'd, you're hosed.

Have more fun!

J.Pietschmann

Re: showing XHTML from a database

Posted by Joerg Heinicke <jo...@gmx.de>.
Unfortunately it works in current Cocoon versions, but it should not be
used in general. For more information on the problems with
disable-output-escaping have a look into XSLT Faq
(http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/sect2/N2215.html) or the archives
(http://www.biglist.com/lists/xsl-list/archives/).

Dale Frye wrote:
> I'm confused by this. It worked fine for me in 2.1M1. I used it to fix
> the Pet Store example.

What's was/is the problem with the PetStore?

Joerg

Posted by Dale Frye <da...@greatsky.us>.

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.

Posted by Dale Frye <da...@greatsky.us>.