Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> on 2007/03/23 14:34:20 UTC

C++ questions from the ServerSide

Someone inquired about the C++ questions at the ServerSide and I
wanted to respond but can't remember where it was originally stated
due to the avalanche of emails to the list. Someone specifically
asked about the C++ programming model and if it was going to
incorporate some of the same "design patterns" such as dependency
injection. I started with the usual disclaimer that I have not been
tracking the C++ spec closely but my understanding was many of the
Java features would also make their way into the C++ spec, but in the
form natural to the language itself.  I added I believe scopes would
also be incorporated.

My impression based on the question and the context in which it was
raised, was that people were interested in having C++ support as part
a federated architecture.

Jim

Re: C++ questions from the ServerSide

Posted by Andrew Borley <aj...@gmail.com>.
On 3/23/07, Jim Marino <jm...@myromatours.com> wrote:
> Someone inquired about the C++ questions at the ServerSide and I
> wanted to respond but can't remember where it was originally stated
> due to the avalanche of emails to the list. Someone specifically
> asked about the C++ programming model and if it was going to
> incorporate some of the same "design patterns" such as dependency
> injection. I started with the usual disclaimer that I have not been
> tracking the C++ spec closely but my understanding was many of the
> Java features would also make their way into the C++ spec, but in the
> form natural to the language itself.  I added I believe scopes would
> also be incorporated.
>
> My impression based on the question and the context in which it was
> raised, was that people were interested in having C++ support as part
> a federated architecture.
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

Your statement sounds about right to me -  the C++ spec mostly follows
the Java spec aside from where language specifics don't make sense, or
an alternative would be more natural. So you'll see many classes that
have the same names, methods etc in the C++ and Java specs, but some
things that are hard to do in C++ (like injection) are not (currently)
included. The spec does include scopes (stateless, request,
conversation, and composite) which (I think) mirror those in the Java
spec.

I believe the Client API differs slightly between C++ and Java, but
mostly things are the same. We even do annotations! (via C++ comments
that would need preprocessing/code generation) e.g:
// @scope("composite")
class LoanServiceImpl : public LoanService {

In Tuscany, the Native runtime does not match the 1.0 spec in lots of
aspects at the moment - the spec added quite a lot of function between
0.95 (where Tuscany Native is currently at) and 1.0. C++ support as
part of the Tuscany federated architecture would (IMO) be a cool thing
& I think I remember someone saying they took a look at the C++ JXTA
implementation, but I'm not sure who that was..

HTH

Andy