Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Byrne, Steven" <SB...@dorado.com> on 2003/10/30 17:25:55 UTC

Script component documentation?

Is there any documentation on the Script component, and in particular, the finer points of the .script language?  We make *heavy* use of JavaScript with our pages, and using the Script component will be critical to our success using Tapestry.

I've looked at the .script files in the Tapestry source, and the DTD, and from that I have somewhat of an idea of what's going on, but then I saw the use of ${name}$toggle in one of the .script files, and that made me realize that there were probably a whole host of things that I didn't know about because they hadn't surfaced in the examples yet.

Of course I can look at the source code for the Script component and how it interprets things, but it's going to be a tougher sell if I can't point our JavaScript UI people at some hard docs describing what's going on.  And I suppose if there isn't any available documentation on it, I can volunteer to write something up, with guidance from the experts on this list.

Steve

Re: Script component documentation?

Posted by Marilen Corciovei <le...@nemesisit.rdsnet.ro>.
The ${variable} are parameters passed to the script component. The most
simple usage is to pass them to the script as informal parameters:

the x and y will replace the ${p1} ${p2} in the generated script.

You can also use this in more complicated manners. I use it mostly in
the following form:

where textFieldID1 comes from an jwcid="textFieldID1@TextField". Then
inside the .script I use ${p1.name} to get the generated name for the
TextField.

hope it helps even if it is just a hint, but it was the most important
hint for me at some point
Len

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.
There is a quick how to in wiki at