Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2004/12/20 21:19:41 UTC

RE: cvs commit: logging-log4j/src/java/org/apache/log4j LogManager.java

LocationInfo is allowed to fail in extracting caller information while
Logger.getLogger(...) must always succeed. If LocationInfo fails you
either get incorrect location information or just '?' for the %M, %C,
%L, %F pattern converters. If Logger.getLogger() fails then the whole
named hierarchy becomes unreliable. So the difference can be
summarized as between that of total and hard-to-decipher failure and
that of partial and well-localized failure.

--
Ceki Gülcü

   The complete log4j manual: http://qos.ch/log4j/