Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com> on 2003/07/31 22:11:07 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.5.0 now available

Hi all,

The Xerces-J team is very happy to announce that version 2.5.0 of
Xerces-J is now available.

This release provides a partial partial implementation of the XML
Inclusions (XInclude) W3C Candidate Recommendation and also brings
Xerces-J into compliance with the most recent work of the W3C DOM
working group on DOM level 3 Core and Load/Save.

Specifically, the significant changes introduced in this release are:

- Added annotation support to the XML Schema component model API
implementation. Modified the PSVI API to allow exposing facets as
objects. [Neil Graham, Elena Litani]

- Added preliminary XInclude implementation, excluding support for
XPointer and XML Base specifications. [Peter McCracken, Arun Yadav,
Elena Litani]

- Implemented the latest DOM Level 3 Core and Load and Save drafts in
Last Call. [Elena Litani, Gopal Sharma, Arun Yadav, Neeraj Bajaj]

- Modified PSVIWriter to output all PSVI information. Changed it to
output to an XNI event stream rather than a file. [Peter McCracken, Neil
Graham]

- Modified error messages for Schema validation. [Peter McCracken, Sandy
Gao]

- Fixed an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException in the scanner caused by some
invalid character references. [Michael Glavassevich]

- Fixed various bugs related to XML 1.1. [Neil Graham, Neil Delima,
Michael Glavassevich]

- Fixed various bugs in the URI implementation, and added previously
missing support for IPv6 addresses. [Michael Glavassevich]

- Fixed performance issue for attributes with large value field. [Thomas
DeWeese]

- Fixed various bugs. [Neil Delima, Neil Graham, Elena Litani, Michael
Glavassevich, K. Venugopal]

The release can be downloaded from
http://xml.apache.org/dist/xerces-j/

Thank you,
--
Elena Litani / IBM Toronto

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.5.0 now available

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Friday, Aug 1, 2003, at 17:10 Europe/Rome, Bruno Dumon wrote:

> On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 17:06, Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>> Steven Noels wrote:

>>> Our own Transformer already does XPointer & XML Base.
>>
>> But I would *love* to delegate that to the Xerces guys, if possible...
>> out implementation is partial and probably not going anywhere, theirs
>> might be much more supported and vital.
>>

> I find it quite odd that XInclude is part of the parser. They could as
> well start putting XSLT support in there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added an XNI filter based on Xalan.
After a while, a parser is a parser, there is not so much you can do on
it ;-)

remeber that Xerces is pipeline based as well (internally).

> A cocoon XInclude transformer has the advantage that you can put it
> anywhere in the pipeline, i.e. after another transformation has been
> applied. And it allows to do XInclude processing on stuff that's not
> parsed from an XML file.

totally agre here.

--
Stefano.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.5.0 now available

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 1/08/2003 17:06 Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> out implementation is partial and probably not going anywhere, theirs
> might be much more supported and vital.

That _might_ be just the case. ;-)

I wouldn't downplay what we are doing with low-level XML handling stuff,
and also this often results in bugs being reported to the parser gurus.
I've been doing some light XSLT development today, and I ended up being
slightly annoyed with the quality of error handling in Xalan (let alone
the way the eventual messages are being thrown forward in Cocoon).

I'd like to see a more unified approach however to the (n)Include stuff,
it might be better to extend the standards syntax with specific
constructs available as features in Cocoon's own Include transformer,
rather than having two Include transformers side-by-side.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.5.0 now available

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:
> On 1/08/2003 15:29 Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>>> The Xerces-J team is very happy to announce that version 2.5.0 of
>>> Xerces-J is now available. This release provides a partial partial
>>> implementation of the XML
>>> Inclusions (XInclude) W3C Candidate Recommendation
>>>

>> Has anybody seen this / tried this with Cocoon?
>

> Our own Transformer already does XPointer & XML Base.

But I would *love* to delegate that to the Xerces guys, if possible...
out implementation is partial and probably not going anywhere, theirs
might be much more supported and vital.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.5.0 now available

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT]: Xerces-J 2.5.0 now available

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Elena Litani wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>The Xerces-J team is very happy to announce that version 2.5.0 of
>Xerces-J is now available.
>
>This release provides a partial partial implementation of the XML
>Inclusions (XInclude) W3C Candidate Recommendation

Has anybody seen this / tried this with Cocoon?

Vadim

jre jar or xalan jar

Posted by Lingzhi Zhang <lz...@cse.ogi.edu>.
Hi,

This might need to be posted in xalan list, however, I couldn't deliever
there. However, it looks like a java question. I feel sorry if it bothers
you.

I got following error when I sent my code to others for test.

Exception in thread
"main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.apache.xpath.compile
r.OpMap.getTokenQueue()Lorg/apache/xml/utils/ObjectVector;

I developed the program in jre1.4.2, however, the code was tested in the
1.4.1. The problem is that in jre1.4.2 org.apache.xpath.compile
r.OpMap.getTokenQueue() returns a ObjectVector, however, in jre1.4.1 this
method returns a Object[]. Even though I include xalan 2.5.1, which also
has ObjectVector as return value, in my classpath like

export
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$API_HOME/xalan.jar:$API_HOME/xercesImpl.jar:$API_HOME/xml-apis.jar:$API_HOME/xmlParserAPIs.jar:$STATIX_HOME/StatiX.jar
java -cp $CLASSPATH myprogram

It sees that java does use the class org.apache.xpath.compiler.OpMap in
jre while not xalan I specified in class path, since I guess that using
jre library is default. Therefore, the code couldn't run in jre1.4.1.

My question is how to force the java to use the class in xalan.jar instead
of that in jre, so that it could run both version of java. Thanks.

Stephen