Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de> on 2019/10/02 10:54:23 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Milagro (incubating) Decentralized Trust Authority v0.1.0 (alpha release)

Hi all,

I change my vote to

+1 (binding)

It seems like I had some issues on my machine and on another PC the builds work.
So my "major" concerns are no longer true and I change my vote.
So, from below my checks:
    - Keys present in KEYS file
    - Signatures and Hash match for all 3 artifacts
    - DISCLAIMER is present, see findings below
    - LICENSE and NOTICE
    - Building of sources
    	- works for crypto C (`make`)
    	- works for crypt js (`npm install` and `npm test`)
    	- works for dta

The other "minor" findings should be corrected for the next release (see below).
Thanks to John for his support and work helping me with the release.

Best
Julian

Am 19.09.19, 23:01 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

    Hi,

    let me initially say, that the release locks pretty good and well prepared. But, unfortunately I found two issues I would consider major, thus I vote

    -1 (binding)

    Remember, this is no VETO so this does not necessarily stop the release. But from my experience its easier to fix things while you still are in release mode than after one. The two major issues I see are the Headers and the failing build of dta.

    I checked:
    - Keys present in KEYS file
    - Signatures and Hash match for all 3 artifacts
    - DISCLAIMER is present, see findings below
    - LICENSE and NOTICE
    - Building of sources
    	- works for crypto C (`make`)
    	- works for crypt js (`npm install`) but `npm test` fails, see below
    	- fails for dta, see below

    (Minor) Findings:
    - Why is the DISCLAIMER different(ly formatted) for dta than for crypto c/js ?

    (Less Minor) Findings:
    - Several Files do not have apache headers.  But at least "code" files like Dockerfile's and bash scripts should for sure have some (also CMake).

    In dta these are, e.g.
    /.dockerignore
      25   ./.gitignore
      26   ./.travis.yml
      27   ./Dockerfile
      28   ./Dockerfile-alpine
      29   ./build-static.sh
      30   ./build.sh
      31   ./go.mod
      32   ./go.sum
      33   ./lint.sh
      34   ./report
      35   ./test.sh
      36   ./cmd/servicetester/e2e_test.sh
      37   ./cmd/servicetester/fulltest.sh
      38   ./cmd/servicetester/id_test.sh
      39   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/CMakeLists.txt
      40   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/CPackConfig.cmake
      41   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/VERSION
      42   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/cmake_uninstall.cmake.in
      43   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/examples/CMakeLists.txt
      44   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/include/CMakeLists.txt
      45   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/src/CMakeLists.txt
      46   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/test/smoke/CMakeLists.txt
      47   ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/testVectors/aes/CBCMMT256.rsp
      48   ./libs/documents/docs.pb.go
      49   ./libs/documents/docs.proto
      50   ./libs/documents/docs.validator.pb.go
      51   ./pkg/safeguardsecret/README.md
      52   ./pkg/safeguardsecret/open-api.yaml

    - When trying to build dta on MacOs via Docker I Get

    Digest: sha256:b88f8848e9a1a4e4558ba7cfc4acc5879e1d0e7ac06401409062ad2627e6fb58
     ---> 2ca708c1c9cc
    Step 2/29 : RUN apt-get update &&  apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends     ca-certificates     cmake     g++     gcc     git     make     libtool     automake     libssl-dev
     ---> Running in f8a17dc7ab42
    Err:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease
      403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
    Err:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease
      403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
    Err:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease
      403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
    Err:4 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease
      403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
    Reading package lists...
    E: The repository 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease' is not signed.
    E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic/InRelease  403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
    E: The repository 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease' is not signed.
    E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic-updates/InRelease  403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
    E: Failed to fetch http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic-security/InRelease  403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
    E: The repository 'http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease' is not signed.
    E: Failed to fetch http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/bionic-backports/InRelease  403  Forbidden [IP: 91.189.88.31 80]
    E: The repository 'http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease' is not signed.
    The command '/bin/sh -c apt-get update &&  apt-get install -y --no-install-recommends     ca-certificates     cmake     g++     gcc     git     make     libtool     automake     libssl-dev' returned a non-zero code: 100

    `npm test` fails for me with the following:
    1 failing

      1)
           TEST MPIN BLS461
             test MPin Kangaroo:
         AssertionError: expected 0 to equal 1111
          at Context.<anonymous> (test/test_MPIN.js:310:31)
          at processImmediate (internal/timers.js:443:21)

    npm ERR! Test failed.  See above for more details.

    Best and feel free to ask if something is unclear or needs discussion!
    Julian

    Am 19.09.19, 13:58 schrieb "Dave Fisher" <wa...@apache.org>:

        Hi -

        +1 (binding)

        Keys present
        DISCLAIMER checked - See (3)
        LICENSE and NOTICE checked
        Signature and Hash checked
        Rat Check run - See (2) below.
        Did NOT build, I’m on a macOS - See (1) below.

        (1) In subsequent releases please make sure that the instructions are to build from the source releases and NOT the GitHub tags as these are not immutable. Also the Docker files and build shell scripts refer to GitHub and not the source release. I understand that these distinctions may be difficult considering CI/CD vs. Release Policy.

        I also think that the Milagro Crypto dependency should be picked from a release and not a Github tag.

        (2) I believe License headers should be added to:
          ./Dockerfile
          ./Dockerfile-alpine
          ./build-static.sh
          ./build.sh
          ./go.mod
          ./go.sum
          ./lint.sh
          ./test.sh
          ./cmd/servicetester/e2e_test.sh
          ./cmd/servicetester/fulltest.sh
          ./cmd/servicetester/id_test.sh
          ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/CMakeLists.txt
          ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/CPackConfig.cmake
          ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/cmake_uninstall.cmake.in
          ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/examples/CMakeLists.txt
          ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/include/CMakeLists.txt
          ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/src/CMakeLists.txt
          ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/test/smoke/CMakeLists.txt
          ./libs/crypto/libpqnist/testVectors/aes/CBCMMT256.rsp
           ./libs/documents/docs.proto
          ./pkg/safeguardsecret/README.md

        (3) Consider use of the DISCLAIMER-WIP.

        Good to see progress here.

        Regards,
        Dave

Posted by John McCane-Whitney <jo...@qredo.com>.
Hi Julian,

Many thanks for your updated vote.

In the next release, we'll make the following changes:

- Add missing licence headers to all source code files
- Ensure that all build scripts, docker files and documentation build from official signed source archives (as per Dave Fisher's observations)

Regards,

John

> [...]

        > Many thanks,
        >
        > John
        >
        > John McCane-Whitney
        > Director of Product at Qredo Ltd
        > T: +44 7966 490687
        > Kemp House
        > 152 - 160 City Road
        > London
        > EC1V 2NX
        > https://qredo.com
        > Qredo Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales (registered number 7834052). This e-mail and any attachments are confidential, and are intended only for the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy, disclose to anyone else or otherwise use the content of this e-mail or any attachment thereto and should notify the sender immediately and delete them from your system.

B�KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCB��[��X��ܚX�KK[XZ[
��[�\�[
��[�\�[