Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by fa...@bt.com on 2002/09/09 16:38:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Connecting to an Oracle database via Apache

Dear all,

I have all the necessary apache components for connecting to an Oracle
database installed, and I am running .asp pages. One of the .asp pages tries
to connect to an Oracle database on our systems.

However I am guessing that it can not resolve the DSN name specified in the
.asp file.....

oRS.OPEN sqlTEXT, "DSN=noah; UID=noah; PWD=noah"

..... as in how does it know where "noah" is?

is there a way of providing apache with information on how to resolve the
DSN name specified?

is there like a TNSnames.ORA file or equivalent for Unix???

I am running apache 2.0.36, on solaris2.8

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Farshid

Re: [users@httpd] Connecting to an Oracle database via Apache

Posted by Zac Stevens <zt...@cryptocracy.com>.
Hi Farshid,

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 03:38:59PM +0100, farshid.dabesh-khoy@bt.com wrote:
> is there a way of providing apache with information on how to resolve the
> DSN name specified?

Apache neither connects to the database nor resolves the DSN.  These
functions are performed by the ODBC driver which is probably part of your
ASP renderer.

If you're using Chilisoft ASP, I seem to recall that there is something in
the management interface that allows you to define DSN's.

In any event, you will probably have more luck pursuing this in a support
forum for the ASP renderer you're using.

Cheers,

Zac

RE: [users@httpd] Connecting to an Oracle database via Apache

Posted by Gilles Gros <gi...@whitepj.com>.
First of all,

Can you connect directly to the database NOAH thru sqlplus ?

If not check the tnsname and eventually the listener of Oracle
configuration.

Gilles