Posted to ddlutils-user@db.apache.org by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com> on 2006/01/20 15:01:29 UTC

Which driver to use for ms-sql

I have opportunity to give ddlutils a try with ms-sql. I found two
different drivers.

http://jtds.sourceforge.net/

and

The ms driver obtained by going through the ms channels.

Anyone ever compared the drivers? What's you preference?

--
Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy

Re: Which driver to use for ms-sql

Posted by Dave Sunerton-Burl <da...@lledr-solutions.co.uk>.
Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:
> I have opportunity to give ddlutils a try with ms-sql. I found two
> different drivers.
>
> http://jtds.sourceforge.net/
>
> and
>
> The ms driver obtained by going through the ms channels.
>
> Anyone ever compared the drivers? What's you preference?

I've always found the jtds driver gives much better performance. Plus
it's open source, which is always a plus!

--
Dave Sunerton-Burl
Lledr Solutions

Email : dave@lledr-solutions.co.uk
Phone : +44 (0)1690 750446
Web : www.lledr-solutions.com

Re: Which driver to use for ms-sql

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:
> Everything went well with a test database using derby.

Derby should work indeed.

I have a few
> comments and improvements to the docs. I just copied and pasted some
> stuff from the docs to get started. It would be nice if the sample
> schema in the docs had the xml header and the <database> tag.
>
> And the example ant targets define runtime.classpath yet refer to it
> as runtime_classpath.

Both are fixed, though not deployed to the website..

> These are just details but users appreciate when this works the first time.

In all honesty I really haven't looked to closely at the docs yet, but it is goign to be adressed
before the 1.0 release (and after all the coding and testing that still needs to done).

Any patches to the documentation are welcome though!

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: Which driver to use for ms-sql

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
Everything went well with a test database using derby. I have a few

On 1/20/06, Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net> wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> Ignoring the fact that MS just released a completely new driver (see
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e22bc83b-32ff-4474-a44a-22b6ae2c4e17&displaylang=en)
> Jtds is far superiour :)
> Afaik the new driver is a complete rewrite my MS itself (the old driver was not written my MS
> itself, if I understood that correctly).
>
> Just one warning : we dind't get around to test/fix ddlutils for usage with sqlserver 2000 and 2005
> after the refactor.

I'm going to try ms-sql next.

Ok, I'll try it and if it doesn't work I'll edit the ddl by hand from
the derby ddl.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Hi Philip,