Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Robin Green <gr...@hotmail.com> on 2000/09/22 03:07:36 UTC

Re: New or who flew over the Cocoon's nest?

Nice to see a bit more personality on the normally staid cocoon-users list!

"Carola Westerlund" <ca...@opk.org> wrote:
>Finally after all this running about in the swedish small foodmarket
>"Konsum" I realised that I wouldn´t find anybody in their to discuss my
>topics of the day: 'Cocoon and looking for a proxyproperty for the
>XMLHttpRequest  like "proxyusername:proxypassword".

Probably not - though stranger things have happened. I daresay someone who
lived near a Microsoft campus might find it easy to bump into
buzzword-compliant techies. (Note - I didn't say _competent_ techies...)

If you really _did_ want to know how to go through a proxy in Java (okay I
take people too literally!) - I can't remember, there's some undocumented
system property(s) for the proxy. Just search the web - it's not
cocoon-specific.

>Therefore I am here with you tonight now (well it is night here).

01:06 here - as a student I'm no stranger to odd sleep patterns.

>Now I am mainly into VB-XML-SQL-Scripts-ASP-Perl and now Java again! ;-)
>I work at the moment at www.pipegroup.com in the city of Stockholm which I
>enjoy back and forth as a so called programmer.
>I prefer to work at home though or move to California maybe - the phones
>are ringing too much in the office-landscape. ;) I hate to fix things
>regarding hardware nowadays and I only want to be the main-pilot who
>creates amazing apps and sober solutions and everybody blushes of joy &
>surprise everytime I do it (well the apps of course!!!). This could be
>true! Beware.

My paradox - the more cutting-edge stuff you work on (like, in my case, a
programming language I've invented that doesn't even have a compiler yet, so
you can't do anything with it yet!), the longer you have to wait to bring it
to completion - by which time it's become out of date! :) But if you just
stick to today's technology you're constrained in so many ways (IMHO) and
you get stuck fiddling with stupid little problems instead of concentrating
on the big picture. That's why Stefano and Giacomo are busy working on the
next-generation, much more clean-design, powerful, and flexible, Cocoon 2.
But it's still a "compromise" in my "warped" view of things, because it has
to work around problems induced by old-fashioned compilers, filesystems etc.

But sometimes you get something so simple, or so truly innovative, that it
takes the world by storm, before it's overtaken by something else. Maybe
Cocoon will be one of those innovations that revolutionises the web! And our
skills will be in high demand and highly-paid! :) (But "revolutionise" and
"new paradigm" are such abused words these days.)

>I have been in the binaryworld for a little while and I have done the
>Gopher, Telnet and Mosaic-thing. %)
>So this is a small introduction and if you want to know some more there is
>some info in english but more in swedish about this
>human alien at www.inteliteit.com (my baby where I play about). ;-)

Cool :) Actually we could maybe use a better Cocoon 2 logo, or mascot, or
maybe even a new site design (the doc system is completely new so why not
redesign the site at the same time?) - any chance you could help? But I
don't think we would use anything that required a plugin - that looks bad in
our case, when Cocoon is supposed to support lots of different browsers and
even mobile phones. (Note these are my personal random thoughts and I don't
speak "officially" for the Cocoon project!)

>Now I need some cooperation with you guys and I hope you take good care of
>me since I am a Cocoon-rookie, but not for very long.

Tip - you are much less likely to get flamed if you read the FAQ - and a new
FAQ is coming out tomorrow.

I can help you with other things but not too much of <subject /> yet.
>I just wanted to introduce myself a bit, been lurking for a few hours just.
>How many is on this list?

Too many ;) Only joking. It's not good getting 200 messages and having to
wade through them all in Hotmail (bah). :/

>And where is the creator of Cocoon?

Stefano is busy with various things, and is focusing on Cocoon 2 over on
cocoon-dev list. You can see who are the "big names" in cocoon by looking at
the source code.

http://profiles.msn.com.