Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Paul Ingalls <pa...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/24 22:52:43 UTC

NPE during compaction in compare

Hey Chris,

so I just tried dropping all my data and converting my column families to use leveled compaction.  Now I'm getting exceptions like the following once I start inserting data.  Have you seen these?

ERROR 13:13:25,616 Exception in thread Thread[CompactionExecutor:34,1,main]
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.AbstractCompositeType.compare(AbstractCompositeType.java:69)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.marshal.AbstractCompositeType.compare(AbstractCompositeType.java:31)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.RangeTombstoneList.insertFrom(RangeTombstoneList.java:396)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.RangeTombstoneList.addAll(RangeTombstoneList.java:205)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.DeletionInfo.add(DeletionInfo.java:180)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.AbstractThreadUnsafeSortedColumns.delete(AbstractThreadUnsafeSortedColumns.java:40)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.AbstractColumnContainer.delete(AbstractColumnContainer.java:51)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.AbstractColumnContainer.delete(AbstractColumnContainer.java:46)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.PrecompactedRow.merge(PrecompactedRow.java:115)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.PrecompactedRow.<init>(PrecompactedRow.java:98)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionController.getCompactedRow(CompactionController.java:160)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionIterable$Reducer.getReduced(CompactionIterable.java:76)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionIterable$Reducer.getReduced(CompactionIterable.java:57)
	at org.apache.cassandra.utils.MergeIterator$ManyToOne.consume(MergeIterator.java:114)
	at org.apache.cassandra.utils.MergeIterator$ManyToOne.computeNext(MergeIterator.java:97)
	at com.google.common.collect.AbstractIterator.tryToComputeNext(AbstractIterator.java:143)
	at com.google.common.collect.AbstractIterator.hasNext(AbstractIterator.java:138)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionTask.runWith(CompactionTask.java:145)
	at org.apache.cassandra.io.util.DiskAwareRunnable.runMayThrow(DiskAwareRunnable.java:48)
	at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:28)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionTask.executeInternal(CompactionTask.java:58)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.AbstractCompactionTask.execute(AbstractCompactionTask.java:60)
	at org.apache.cassandra.db.compaction.CompactionManager$BackgroundCompactionTask.run(CompactionManager.java:211)
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:439)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)

and

ERROR 13:17:11,327 Exception in thread Thread[CompactionExecutor:45,1,main]

Re: NPE during compaction in compare

Posted by Paul Ingalls <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hey Sylvain,

I pulled the latest from the 1.2 branch and these exceptions were fixed.  The only issue that remains is compacting large rows which fails with an assertion error.

Thanks for the tip!

Paul

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.