Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Charith Madusanka <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/08 11:34:50 UTC

Google Map Module and JavaScript-only PDF viewer component | GSOC2010

*Proposal Title*:

Google Map Module and JavaScript-only PDF viewer component

*
*

*Student Name:*

Charitha Madusanka Elvitigala

*
*

*Student E-mail:*

Charithccmc@gmail.com

*
*

*Organization*

Apache Tapestry

*
*

*Project Assigned Mentor*:

Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

Ulrich Stärk

*
*

*Proposal Abstract:***

Apache Tapestry is an open source java framework. Tapestry component make
easer to developers creating dynamic, robust, highly scalable web
applications in Java.

            Google Map component provides an interface to the Google map API
with Tapestry5. PDF viewer component provide to Tapestry user view PDF
document through the web browser. Both components are mainly based on Java
Script.

*
*

*Deliverables*

   - Implementation of Google Map component
   - Implementation of JavaScript-only PDF viewer component
   - Documentation to support continuation of the project

*Overview*

*Google Map component***

            This component provide users to a clickable map for entering
latitude and longitude as well as it can  add content to the map through a
variety of services, allowing you to create robust maps applications on your
T5 web application.

*Google Map component** can be used to create interactive maps with various
map markers*. I’m hoping to implement this module by using Tapestry5 Ajax
package and Java Script (Tapestry5AndJavaScriptExplained) make an
interaction with Google Map API.

*JavaScript-only PDF viewer component*

            These components allow to viewing PDF file directly in web
browser .Now look at my implementation of this component. One of the
effective and powerful way to view PDF in web browser by using Java Script.

            My implementation includes class, object and method that enable
you to easily manipulate PDF file, provide database connections and other
use full things. Tapestry5 can easily interact with the PDF viewer component
using Simple Object Access Protocol.

*
*

*Project Plan*

*I have planned the project under 4 steps as follows*

*Step 1: Initial Planning and Designing*

*I will look at both Tapestry 5 framework Google map API then will create a
basic design for Google map component.** *In* *PDF viewer component I will
design all the Java Script classes, method and workflows. **

Estimated Completion: 23ed May 2010* *

*Step 2: Implementation*

I would start working on the code. Deliverable(s): Prototype and
documentation for mid evaluation

Estimated Completion: 11th July 2010**

*Step 3: Improvements and Testing*

Modifications or improvements suggested at the mid evaluation would be
completed in this step. Write unit tests for finished segments and Test
Component.

Estimated Completion: 9th August 2010**

*Step 4: Final Product and Documents*

With the completion of this step, will finish the Google Map Component and
JavaScript-only PDF viewer component for T5. Necessary documents would also
be present with the final products. Deliverable(s): Final products and
documentation.

*Biography*

I am Charitha Madusaka Elvitigal 2rd year Computer Science undergraduate of
University of Colombo School of Computing (UCSC), Sri Lanka. I have been
involved in Open Source development regarding Web Services based on Apache,
java and Java Script.

Re: Google Map Module and JavaScript-only PDF viewer component | GSOC2010

Posted by Charith Madusanka <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uli ,

First of all I'm thank you for your comment :-)

I wonder though, why you would need SOAP for the JavaScript only PDF viewer?

Because I think Applications written in Java can easily integrate JavaScript
only PDF viewer component with Web services using SOAP.

Now i'm think  load the contents asynchronously via Ajax good.

> How will you render the PDF so that the contents can be shown to the user?

I'm planing to use render the whole document at once and cache the pages
method.

Now i will revise my proposal and need any suggestion about Google
map component.

Cheers,

charith

Re: Google Map Module and JavaScript-only PDF viewer component | GSOC2010

Posted by Charith Madusanka <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uli ,

First of all I'm thank you for your comment :-)

I wonder though, why you would need SOAP for the JavaScript only PDF viewer?

Because I think Applications written in Java can easily integrate JavaScript
only PDF viewer component with Web services using SOAP.

Now i'm think  load the contents asynchronously via Ajax good.

> How will you render the PDF so that the contents can be shown to the user?

I'm planing to use render the whole document at once and cache the pages
method.

Now i will revise your proposal and need any suggestion about Google
map component.

Cheers,

charith

Re: Google Map Module and JavaScript-only PDF viewer component | GSOC2010

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.
Hello Charith,

that sounds much more like a real proposal ;).

I wonder though, why you would need SOAP for the JavaScript only PDF viewer? I think the easiest way
would be to bind the PDF contents to be viewed to some parameter of the PDF viewer component, or
load the contents asynchronously via Ajax.

How would you go about anyways? How will you render the PDF so that the contents can be shown to the
user? Will you do that on a page-by-page basis or render the whole document at once and cache the
pages? Will there be some server-side Tapestry service (not a webservice) involved?

You see, there is still much to think about, so please revise your proposal.

Cheers,

Uli