Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Steve Pelikan <pe...@math.uc.edu> on 2007/02/10 19:23:02 UTC

[users@httpd] CGI differences in apache 2.0 and 2.2

We have several perl cgi scripts that run fine with apache 2.0 but fail
with 2.2. This is using 2.2 that is part of recent Fedora and 2.0.59
that I just built and installed on the same machine.

The problem seems to be with system() calls in perl.

system("ls");  returns an error with version 2.2 but runs w/o error with 2.0

Same with File::Copy copy() function.

I believe I've made the configurations (httpd.conf) for the two apaches
the same.

What am I'm missing?

Thanks

Steve P

Re: [users@httpd] CGI differences in apache 2.0 and 2.2

Posted by "Silvino C. Ferreira" <si...@devferr.com>.
As root you can see the PATH variable for any running process in the
/proc directory.  Here is what you need to do:

1. su to root
2. run the command   ps -e | grep httpd   which will show you all of
process ids for apache

3. cd to /proc and do an ls.  You should see a directory with the same
number as each of the httpd process ids

4. cd to one of those directories and then cat the environ file. The
information is just one long sting and  not nicely formated, but  PATH
should be obvious.

Sil

Posted by Steve Pelikan <pe...@math.uc.edu>.

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.

On 11/02/07, Steve Pelikan <pe...@math.uc.edu> wrote:

> Thanks. It is finding and executing the scripts. (Can put in a print
> statement before the system() command and see the results on a web
> browser calling the script.
>
> Both the 2.0 and 2.2 apaches are using mod_cgi. In 2.0 it is built in
> and in 2.2 there's a LoadModule statement for it in httpd.conf.
>
> But: mod_suexec is loaded in 2.2 and not loaded or built in in 2.0.
>
> This is a difference I hadn't thought about or even known about. I don't
> really know about suexec or how it should be configured, but it looks
> like it could be close to my problems. Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Steve P
>
> Steve Swift wrote:
> > Being in the same directory as the program that is running is no
> > guarantee that the command will be found, unless you either have "." in
> > the PATH, or the language your command is written is explicitly looks in
> > the same directory as the running program when resolving commands.
> >
> > On 11/02/07, *William A. Rowe, Jr.* <wrowe@rowe-clan.net
> > <ma...@rowe-clan.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     Steve Pelikan wrote:
> >      > We have several perl cgi scripts that run fine with apache 2.0
> >     but fail
> >      > with 2.2. This is using 2.2 that is part of recent Fedora and
> 2.0.59
> >      > that I just built and installed on the same machine.
> >      >
> >      > The problem seems to be with system() calls in perl.
> >      >
> >      > What am I'm missing?
> >
> >     httpd -l to compare which MPM's you built with?  Are you running
> mod_cgi
> >     or mod_cgid?  Did you build with suexec?

> >     <ma...@httpd.apache.org>
> >     For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org
> >     <ma...@httpd.apache.org>
> >

> > --
> > Steve Swift
> > http://www.swiftys.org.uk

> 2/10/2007 9:15 PM

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] CGI differences in apache 2.0 and 2.2

Posted by Steve Pelikan <pe...@math.uc.edu>.

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@gmail.com>.
I have seen that the default user/group of Apache has changed. Does that
user have access for running the programs you want?

Octavian

Posted by Steve Pelikan <pe...@math.uc.edu>.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. ANY script with a 'system()' command fails to
run as a gci script under apache 2.2. Even if the command that is being
run is in the same directory as the script (/var/www/cgi-bin) and has
777 permissions.

And the same script does run under apache 2.0.

For both apaches the user and group settings are the same.

Thanks!

Steve P

Posted by Steve Swift <st...@gmail.com>.

On 10/02/07, Steve Pelikan <pe...@math.uc.edu> wrote:

> We have several perl cgi scripts that run fine with apache 2.0 but fail
> with 2.2. This is using 2.2 that is part of recent Fedora and 2.0.59
> that I just built and installed on the same machine.
>
> The problem seems to be with system() calls in perl.
>
> system("ls");  returns an error with version 2.2 but runs w/o error with
> 2.0
>
> Same with File::Copy copy() function.
>
> I believe I've made the configurations (httpd.conf) for the two apaches
> the same.
>
> What am I'm missing?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve P

Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk

Re: [users@httpd] CGI differences in apache 2.0 and 2.2

Posted by Tommy Nordgren <to...@comhem.se>.
On 10 feb 2007, at 19.23, Steve Pelikan wrote:

> We have several perl cgi scripts that run fine with apache 2.0 but
> fail with 2.2. This is using 2.2 that is part of recent Fedora and
> 2.0.59 that I just built and installed on the same machine.
>
> The problem seems to be with system() calls in perl.
>
> system("ls");  returns an error with version 2.2 but runs w/o error
> with 2.0
>
> Same with File::Copy copy() function.
>
> I believe I've made the configurations (httpd.conf) for the two
> apaches the same.
>
> What am I'm missing?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve P

	Try running system with the full path of the executable,
and for commands in the same directory as your script with ./
<scriptname>
The dot in the path name explicitly specifies a file in the current
directory.
------
What is a woman that you forsake her, and the hearth fire and the
home acre,
to go with the old grey Widow Maker.  --Kipling, harp song of the
Dane women
Tommy Nordgren
tommy.nordgren@comhem.se