Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Marco Peters <ma...@brockmann-consult.de> on 2023/05/05 13:51:00 UTC

Javahelp broken after update from NB platform 8.2 to 11.3 (Displayer not found by Lookup)

Hello,

Yes, I know the versions are quite old. It's a little embarrassing. Unfortunately, we didn't have the chance to update earlier in our ESA SNAP project. We were still using Java 1.8 too.
So, we now want to update step by step and not with one giant leap to the latest versions.
We try to get run 11.3 of NetBeans Platform with JDK11.

Now my problem.
After updating the Java help is not working anymore. The default menu entry Help/Help Contents is not added to the menu. And when invoking the help manually nothing happens.
Debugging revealed that in HelpCtx.display() the call to Lookup.getDefault().lookupAll(Displayer.class) to not return an implementation.

I've seen this issue [NETBEANS-462] Java Help class cannot be found - ASF JIRA (apache.org)<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-462> and the last comment that dependencies to org-netbeans-modules-javahelp and javahelp  are needed, which I have
    <dependencies>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.netbeans.api</groupId>
            <artifactId>org-netbeans-modules-javahelp</artifactId>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>javax.help</groupId>
            <artifactId>javahelp</artifactId>
        </dependency>
    </dependencies>

Versions are defined in the parent pom.
Ther are multiple modules containing help. But even not all depend on those 2 modules at least the main help module should be shown and at least the Displayer implementation should be loaded, right?.
While building the application I don't see any warning regarding the help which might indicate a problem. And when starting the app, I see in the logs that the NB javahelp module is loaded.
When I try to instantiate the Displayer implementation JavaHelp directly I get a ClassNotFoundException. Which I do understand. The package is not exported. Does the HelpCtx, respectively the Lookup, have the same issue?
I have found no documentation about what needs to be done differently now.

I'm now a bit lost. Can someone give me a hint what I'm doing wrong.
Thank you.

Ciao
  Marco

Marco Peters
Brockmann Consult GmbH
Tel:  +49 (0)40 696389 305
Email: marco.peters@brockmann-consult.de<ma...@brockmann-consult.de>
Skype: marco.peters.bc
Twitter: @MarPet_BC
Brockmann Consult GmbH
Chrysanderstr. 1
D-21029 Hamburg, Germany
Amtsgericht Hamburg HRB 157689
Geschäftsführer Dr. Carsten Brockmann
http://www.brockmann-consult.de<http://www.brockmann-consult.de/>
Twitter: @BrockmannCon

RE: Javahelp broken after update from NB platform 8.2 to 11.3 (Displayer not found by Lookup)

Posted by Marco Peters <ma...@brockmann-consult.de>.
Thanks for the update, Oliver.
Meanwhile we reached a point with NB11.3 where everything works as we need it. Unfortunately, the release date is getting closer, and we decided to update NB to the latest version in the next iteration.

Ciao
  Marco

Posted by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de>.
Hi Marco,

Posted by Marco Peters <ma...@brockmann-consult.de>.
Thanks for all the responses. Let me answer first the questions:
Why 11.3 exactly?  Personally, while I understand the desire to not make a giant leap, I think you're probably better jumping straight to NetBeans 17 with JDK 11 here.

Yes, full of enthusiasm I initially tried NB17. But got some error messages which made me step back in history. I tried 16, 12 and 12.6.
11.3 is the version which just worked, except the help.

In 17 I got, for example, this error. For which I couldn't find a solution:
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.netbeans.core.netigso.Netigso.findRecursivePkgs(Netigso.java:784)
	at org.netbeans.core.netigso.Netigso.substitutePkg(Netigso.java:741)
	at org.netbeans.core.netigso.Netigso.fakeBundle(Netigso.java:611)
	at org.netbeans.core.netigso.Netigso.fakeOneModule(Netigso.java:506)
	at org.netbeans.core.netigso.Netigso.prepare(Netigso.java:155)
	at org.netbeans.NetigsoHandle.turnOn(NetigsoHandle.java:115)
	at org.netbeans.ModuleManager.doEnable(ModuleManager.java:1476)
	at org.netbeans.ModuleManager.enable(ModuleManager.java:1331)
	at org.netbeans.ModuleManager.enable(ModuleManager.java:1256)
	at org.netbeans.core.startup.ModuleList.installNew(ModuleList.java:316)
	at org.netbeans.core.startup.ModuleList.trigger(ModuleList.java:252)
	at org.netbeans.core.startup.ModuleSystem.restore(ModuleSystem.java:298)
	at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.getModuleSystem(Main.java:173)
	at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.getModuleSystem(Main.java:142)
	at org.netbeans.core.startup.Main.start(Main.java:303)
	at org.netbeans.core.startup.TopThreadGroup.run(TopThreadGroup.java:98)
INFO [org.netbeans.core.netigso.Netigso]: Can't process C:\Users\Marco\Projects\IdeaProjects\senbox\snap-engine\ceres-core\target\classes
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\Marco\Projects\IdeaProjects\senbox\snap-engine\ceres-core\target\classes (Access denied)
	at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.open0(Native Method)
	at java.base/java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(RandomAccessFile.java:345)
… <more>

Thanks Oliver, for the JavaHelp link. We will have a look.

Ciao
  Marco

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Milan Horák <ho...@thb.cz>.
Hi,

my two cents:

We have we have a whole ERP written in NetBeans 8 and absence of
JavaHelp and absent Czech translation (solvable) is the only thing
keeping us there. We don't insist on JavaHelp, but I couldn't find a way
to replace JavaHelp with calls to online help context by pressing F1 key.

Milan

Posted by Oliver Rettig <Ol...@orat.de>.
Hi,

we have a student at the DHBW-Karlsruhe, working on a replacement of the
JavaHelp viewer.

https://github.com/MobMonRob/JavaHelpStudien

My main motivation to start this project are my own netbeans-platform
applications where we want to have offline-available help-pages which are
collected automatically from a big set of modules.

I think the module should also be able to be added to the netbeans IDE itself
to show the ide help pages.

What is the status of the ide help content? I think nobody has worked on
updating the IDE helps-sets?

Our student project will be finished end of month and in October we can start a
follow up project for completing missing parts and refinements.

So it is good to know, if there is interest in a modern replacement of java-
help (for the ide or netbeans platform based applications) or making re-
available the´ original implementation.

best regards
Oliver

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.